Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CPU compatability, FSB?

• Please log in to reply

steve1966

steve1966

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Ive got an older dell with a 1.6Ghz cpu 400fsb, and I want to put in a 2.6 cpu 533fsb, is this possible?
Thanks

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hmmm, some would, some wouldn't. Depends on the motherboard. Can you tell me the make and model of your computer? i.e. Dell Optiplex GX280.

I'll research and see what I find. I work on Dell's all the time, I might even have a 533mhz FSB processor and same computer in my basement. :)

steve1966

steve1966

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It's a Dell dimension4300 from 2001
printed wiring assembly PanarNAUD

Edited by steve1966, 28 March 2010 - 06:48 AM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
It looks like it will only support up to 400mhz FSB. CLICK HERE to see the technical specifications in the manual for your PC. Look at the "System Clock" under System Information.

The 533mhz FSB processor may work and turn on, but it will lower the clock speed. If you notice in THIS IMAGE that it shows the processors clock, but then it also shows directly after that what it's really running at. If you put a 533mhz in their (and it even turns on) the second speed will be a lower clock.

For example: On a 400mhz system you have a 2.6ghz processor with a 400mhz FSB, it will show as 2.6ghz. But on a 400mhz system with 2.6ghz processor with a FSB of 800mhz would show half that at 1.3ghz on the second clock listing. In that particular scenario, the system probably wouldn't even turn on, but just making an example.

steve1966

steve1966

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
So your saying that if I put in the 2.6/533 cpu and by chance the machine does turn, it will most likley knock the precessor speed down to maybe 2.1-2.2, or something?

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Yeah, something like that. That is if it turns on. It really mostly matters if the cpu you have is compatible with the motherboard. I'm not saying it will always handle all of it's instructions perfectly without any errors, but I've seen machines run fine with a 533mhz FSB processor on a 400mhz system.

steve1966

steve1966

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thamks Ferrari, I appreciate the input, Have a good day, Steve

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
You are welcome. :)