Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot Defrag my .pst file

• Please log in to reply

ProEd

ProEd

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
When I run MS defrag on my tower PC & on my laptop I get a message that my .pst file cannot be defragged. So, I have visited some websites & searched G2G, but I am receiving conflicting recommendations.

Help will be appreciated. Where to now?

Sincere thanks.... ProEd

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts
Question 1: Do you have enough free space on your hard drive?

Question 2: Is Outlook open while you're attempting to defrag?

The most common cause for files not getting defragged is that there's not enough free space on the hard disk to do so. If there's not enough room for a second, temporary, copy of the file then the file cannot be defragged. Most defraggers require that you have enough free space on your hard disk for a copy of the largest file that needs defragging, or some percentage of free space on the hard drive, like 10% or 15%.

The second most common cause is that the file is in use by some program. That's why most defragging utilities suggest you close down all running programs prior to attempting to defrag.

Another cause, (but probably not applicable in this case), is that the operating system itself often has files open, and open files cannot be defragged. One very common example is windows paging or swap file.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
To add a little more.

Open files and running programs would also be the programs running at startup that are now in the taskbar by the system clock. Those also could cause defrag to not work.