Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black screen

• Please log in to reply

kantlooz

kantlooz

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I have a HP Pavillion 1709n. My system was attacked by adware about a week ago. I noticed the system slowing down so I backed up all my files. 2 days ago my system went dead. I got the black screen of death. I do have the recovery cd but it won't read. I've tried moving the rams and I checked the mobo (it's good) I tried so many things. I did change the bios to read cd 1st, but that did nothing. Please help, whats next?

Advertisements

kantlooz

kantlooz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
so many people reading this... any Ideas? how do I do a diagnostic check or any ideas why the recovery cd isn't reading

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
To use the recovery cd you would first need to change the boot sequence in bios so that the cdrom is the first boot device.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

Hopefully you have already put the Recovery cd in the drive before all this. If everything is setup correctly you will get a black screen with the following message in the upper left corner:
"Push Any Key To Boot To Cd". When you see this then push any key and the cd will take over. Then follow the prompts or if you need assistance we will help.

kantlooz

kantlooz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
ok... I'm new to this forum, and I'm sure I am messaging you from the wrong place, but I kcow you're trying to help me and I'm desperate. I can't get the Recovery Cd's to work, I did go to the boot screen & change it to cd 1st, but no luck. I've been messing with this computer for 3 days. I've probably done more bad than good, but I've been reading all the troubleshooting. Do you think my computer could just really be finished?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not the boot screen but you have to enter the BIOS or Setup on your system,
Most system this is entered by clicking DEL when you first turn the system on. Yours may be F12 or F11 or ESC
It will be on the first black post screen on how to enter BIOS\CMOS or SETUP
Then you need to find the Boot Sequence and change it according to the instructions i gave earlier.

Edited by rshaffer61, 29 March 2010 - 05:46 PM.

kantlooz

kantlooz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
There has to be something in the bios/cmos that will start to help me, but I don't know what to do. I did put the cdrom group as the 1st boot device in the boot priority but it still won't read the recovery cd. F11 is for system recovery, but the system is not acknowledging to command

kantlooz

kantlooz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I see an error that says Media failure, check cable

kantlooz

kantlooz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
now i have a ERROR: SYSTEM FAN HAS FAILED!
SERVICE PC TO PREVENT DAMAGE TO SYSTEM F2 TO CONTINUE
What does this mean?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
it probably means the processor fan has stopped working ...unplug the computer from the wall...
remove the side cover...left side if your facing the computer from the front...
with the side cover off try plugging it back in and push the power button...see if the cpu fan spins at all
it will look similar to the one in the screenshot...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks Happyrock seems I missed this last night.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Thanks Happyrock seems I missed this last night.

no problem...I seen you were offline so I just filled in for you until you got back online

kantlooz

kantlooz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
all 3 fans are working. still have black screen. i moved the rams.

kantlooz

kantlooz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Is it possible to run a hardware diagnostic with the black screen? I only know how to check it from the web site

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you can't see then there is no way to run diagnostics.
Even though the fan may be turning it may not be turning fast enough. How is the inside looking? What i mean is is it dusty or full of dust bunnies. Is the fans full of dirt or dust?

kantlooz

kantlooz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
system looks good on the inside. do you think the computer could possibly be done for good. I really need a computer the one i'm on is so old it has windows mellinium edition. i've been messing with this computer for 4 days. to my wits end. what would Best Buy do for me? can you walk me through any other steps or is this something you have to physically see?