Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet connection full strength, but sites won't load

• Please log in to reply

qwerty3

qwerty3

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi all,

I recently installed a fresh copy of Windows XP on a new hard drive, but I had this problem before that, although not quite as severe.

My Belkin N Wireless router is about two floors down, although signal doesn't seem to be a problem. I'm using an EDIMAX wireless-n PCI card on my Dell machine to connect to it. Signal varies between good and very good so no issues there.

I use my Macbook pro and my iPhone in the same room, and the internet is perfect and fast. My desktop on the other hand doesn't. It might take a couple of refreshes for Google to load up for instance. It's the same with most sites, they take about 3-4 clicks of the refresh button, and even then sometimes the page may not load. Installing things like Firefox extensions will hang. Repairing the connection will let it work for about 15 seconds at most.

As I said, the signal is strong, and I can't see that there's anything wrong with the router as my laptop and phone both work on wifi perfectly.

Has anyone run into this problem before? Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Cheers

EDIT: by the way, clicking on any web link or bookmark will cause the ZoneAlarm activity meter in the taskbar to start jumping about, for about a second, then revert to the 'Z' logo, ie. no internet activity. It's as if the computer tries loading a website for a second, then doesn't receive any more data after that.

Edited by qwerty3, 28 March 2010 - 07:13 AM.

Advertisements

qwerty3

qwerty3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Hi all,

I recently installed a fresh copy of Windows XP on a new hard drive, but I had this problem before that, although not quite as severe.

My Belkin N Wireless router is about two floors down, although signal doesn't seem to be a problem. I'm using an EDIMAX wireless-n PCI card on my Dell machine to connect to it. Signal varies between good and very good so no issues there.

I use my Macbook pro and my iPhone in the same room, and the internet is perfect and fast. My desktop on the other hand doesn't. It might take a couple of refreshes for Google to load up for instance. It's the same with most sites, they take about 3-4 clicks of the refresh button, and even then sometimes the page may not load. Installing things like Firefox extensions will hang. Repairing the connection will let it work for about 15 seconds at most.

As I said, the signal is strong, and I can't see that there's anything wrong with the router as my laptop and phone both work on wifi perfectly.

Has anyone run into this problem before? Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Cheers

EDIT: by the way, clicking on any web link or bookmark will cause the ZoneAlarm activity meter in the taskbar to start jumping about, for about a second, then revert to the 'Z' logo, ie. no internet activity. It's as if the computer tries loading a website for a second, then doesn't receive any more data after that.

Hmmm, never mind, I uninstalled Zone Alarm and that seemed to fix it. Very strange, although I sort of wanted to keep ZA running! Anyone else encountered this problem?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Thanks for letting us know what you did.

I would ask....Have you allowed Zonealarm to give access to the internet?

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Do you use AVG too?

qwerty3

qwerty3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Yes I use AVG as well, is there a connection?

Definitely told ZA to access the internet, although there was an annoying pop-up that kept appearing everytime I connected, asking if I'd like to accept this new network connection as part of the 'trusted zone'.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
There seems to be some conflict between two of them, recently.
Uninstall AVG, using AVG Remover and see, if it helps: http://www.avg.com/u.../download-tools