1. VISTA disks (that I did have with my laptop). It will let me go into the repair part but it does not see any operating system so it has nothing to repair.
2. At the DOS prompt it appears that the d: drive with the recovery software is ok but I don't know how to get it started.
3. I did a chkdsk of the c: drive where VISTA supposedly is but it cam back as saying there was a problem with the master file table.
4. I have tried alt f8 but all it does it get me back to the black screen and loud noises everytime I press a button.
5. I had downloaded just the VISTA recovery part from a website but again, it is not recognizing any operating system.
PLEASE, can anyone help me? At first I was hoping to save her data but at this point I just want her laptop to work.