Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with Start-ups when usb hardware pwrd up

• Please log in to reply

Sharksk8

Sharksk8

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I was having BSOD problems. after correctng several issues the last one was to change the stand-by/hibernate settings to never. Now I shut-down using the mouse and start-up using the button.

Now I remember why I had the stand-by/hibernate settings applied. If I shut the computer all the way down and use the button on the front of the case to power the unit up I get a black screen with a blinking cursor. To get past this I have to power down the printer (attached via USB2.0) sometimes the computer will continue to boot - other times I have to CTRL-ALT-DELETE to restart the boot.

I have just added (1 week ago) an external HD (WD Elements 1.5TB) and have to either disconnect it before shutting down or unplug it and go through the same process as with the printer.

Advertisements

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
HI, check bios BOOT PRIORITY/SEQUENCE. You might have boot from usb/external device, if so , disable it.

Sharksk8

Sharksk8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks for the response.

I checked the BIOS and the priority was set (1) Drve A: Diskette (2) Hard drive © and (3) cd/rom

USB wasn't listed.

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
hi, check link, interesting comments.

http://www.daniweb.c...ead110907.html#

Sharksk8

Sharksk8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
OK so I checked the link and found several others that talk about the "usb legacy" being the cure for similar problems.

I checked my BIOS and found "Integrated Devices - (LegacySelect Options)"

When I open this I find the following active settings:

Sound -- OFF
Network Interface Controller -- ON
Mouse Port -- On
USB Emulation --- ON ( additional options are "No Boot" and OFF)
USB Controller -- On (addtional option is "OFF")
Serial Port -- AUTO
Parallel Port -- <ENTER>
Diskette Interface -- AUTO
Primary Video Controller -- AGP

I know next to nothing about computers and very hesitant about changing any settings - I do wonder if the "No Boot" setting would solve my problem.

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hi, the usb emulation is for usb memory stick to emulate floppy/hard drive.you poss. don't need this so turn OFF & see any diff.

What make & model is your comp.

Sharksk8

Sharksk8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Sorry, should have posted this to begin with. My computer is o-l-d. Dell 4600 desktop w/Windows XP Home edition sp3.

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hi, did you dissable the usb emulation?. What result. With this enabled the comp. will try to boot from any usb device..usb flash drive / card reader/ this may be on your printer, etc.

Sharksk8

Sharksk8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I disabled emulation. After seveal shutdown/startups with the devices connected and powered up there seems to be no problem. The fixes you recommended worked.

The funny thing is that the startups never "hung" when I left a USB memory stick or even a smartphone conected by usb cable connected to a port only with the printer ( which does have card readers and a usb port) and the new external hard drive.

Anyway so far so good, thanks for the help

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
GREAT. hope you have smooth computing, no more BSOD (feb) or hangs.