Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

VBS/Autorun.worm.zo, Yuyun_Cantix and no connectivity.

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
Log looks very good. It doesn't matter which you do first tho you do want to uninstall AVG before installing Avast.

Ron

Advertisements

Greki

Greki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
So after the updates and the antivirus we'll be finished?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
I think so. I don't see any more problems. Do you?

Ron

Greki

Greki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
I haven't so far. The Windows Explorer errors aren't occuring anymore. I'll delete Combofix and AVG and install Avast, WinPatrol and the updates. Then I'll scan with Avast. I'll tell you if Avast catches anything.

Again, thanks! I'll make sure to tell her of your enormous help once I give her the PC.

Edited by Greki, 03 April 2010 - 07:25 PM.

Greki

Greki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Lol, the Combofix uninstall command didn't want to work until I realized that I needed to write "Bureau" instead of Desktop.

Greki

Greki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Okay... I do have an error at Startup, again:

DTProAgent

This program requires at least Windows 2000 with SPTD 1.43 or higher. Kernel debugger must be deactivated.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
uninstall Daemon Tools.

Ron

Greki

Greki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Hmm, so that's causing the problem. Hmmm, I'm afraid since that one's a paid program I'd need to ask her first before uninstalling it. I don't understand well what it does, though. Something about creating a virtual disk? Does she need it for anything important?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
"DAEMON Tools is an advanced application for Microsoft Windows which provides one of the best optical media emulation in the industry. DAEMON Tools enables you to use your CD/DVD images as if they were already burned to CD/DVD."

Appears lots of people have the same problem:

http://forum.daemon-...155/index2.html

There is a fix but it seems like a lot of work:
http://daemonpro-help.com/?id=932

Ron

Greki

Greki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
...The fix seems to say to uninstall DAEMON Tools as well...

I think I'll just ask her if she wants it or not.

I also think Combofix was the one to cause it because evertime I ran Combofix, it said something about disabling CD/DVD drivers, which I found curious, because the netbook doesn't have cd/dvd readers (but I did watch that on My PC, I just forgot to ask). And every time that the laptop rebooted after Combofix, that error appeared, however, once the log was produced, the error went away.

It was until I uninstalled Combofix that the error didn't go away, because it disabled the drivers when it uninstalled.

Anyway, Avast scan ran unhindered and has finished. No malware detected! x3

She's got Spybot - Search & Destroy installed. Do I do something about it? For that matter, do I leave MBAM installed? (What else do you think I should delete, OTL, TFC?)

Oh, and I already updated Java and Adobe. And made the JavaScript tweaking you told me about. There were no Microsoft Updates available. I updated her browsers and whatnot. I still need to update the drivers, though. It seems she never updated any of her software. I'll defrag after this is all over... and I restore the rest of the start menu shortcuts. I'm not sure what is supposed to go in the ASUS folder...

Edited by Greki, 04 April 2010 - 12:40 AM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
You can leave Spybot. MBAM won't hurt anything. The rest you might want to move to a folder called antivirus tools or something similar so that when if gets reinfected it will be easier to fix.

For ASUS just look in the c:\program files\ASUS folder and make a shortcut for each .exe you find.

The file Daemon complains about was happily running as far as Combofix was concerned:

S0 sptd;sptd;c:\windows\system32\drivers\sptd.sys [22/09/2009 10:32 685816]

I see the sptd.sys file a lot in Combofix logs and it never seemed to bother it before.

Ron

Greki

Greki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Okay, I'll restore the ASUS and move the other stuff...

Hmmmm... Everytime the drivers were disabled the PC rebooted... maybe, I don't know, the SPTD was installed back again after the reboot?

Everytime the CD/DVD drivers were disabled and the PC rebooted, Combofix died, so I had to manually turn off the PC and reboot. The error would appear at start-up at that second reboot, and Combofix would start over again automatically but actually work.

After all stages were cleared, the PC woudl reboot one final time and Combofix would produce the log. But after that third reboot, the error wouldn't appear.

Greki

Greki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
I discovered that it wasn't Combofix that disabled it.

It was the recovery console, and the error appeared because the registry value of the sptd was set to 4 (instead of 0) to disable it.

The error disappeared once I set it to 0.

Anyway, I restored all the rest of the shortcuts, and no further errors seem to be present.

Once more I thank you for your attention.