Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

buying new pc but must play WoW

• Please log in to reply

mystaken1

mystaken1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm looking at several new pc's but wondered if anyone has yet tested any graphics cards on windows 7?
Since this means a processor that is quad-core with at least 2.2GHz and 2MB L2, a min. 2GB RAM, a min. 320GB SATA HD will a 512MB graphics card be enough?
I know that WoW plays best on Radeon or Nvidia...but will either Radeon HD 4350 or GeForce G210 adequatly support WoW in raids without a load of lag? what about the 1GB Radeon HD 5450 or HD 4650?
I am looking to spend under $600 as I am on a rather tight budget (isn't everyone these days?).
Have looked at HPs Pavilion p6350z, Gateway SX2800, ZT Reliant 861, Acer M256 and Lenovo IdeaCentre K210.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi and welcome...

So are you looking to purchase an already-built system and then upgrade the graphics card in it?

mystaken1

mystaken1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
pretty much, unless I can find a build that will let me put my existing dvd burner and cd player in...for what I do on my PC anything better is really a waste, but everything I've been able to find is either 'buy this and add graphics card and upgrade pcu to run that card' or 'buy this and these are the choices we give you in building'...my primary choice so far is a HP p6310t build: Windows 7 Home 64bit, Intel Celeron dual-core(2.5GHz 1mb L2 800MHz), 3GB 7200rpm SATA HDD, 3GB DDR-3 SDRAM, Radeon HD 4650 1GB graphics, is this a good choice for WoW??

Edited by mystaken1, 01 April 2010 - 02:18 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Okay, hhhmmmmmmmm. You've got me thinking here. First up, I personally am not a fan of pre-built systems. I am going to (like I always do) strongly recommend you build one yourself! It's not that hard, I wrote up a guide which is a sticky in this forum. Let me know if you're interested and we can chase up some parts to make the build.

Second, looking at the specs of that HP you mentioned above, I would avoid it. The Celeron processor is what's going to kill the performance there. Also it is a really weird configuration where the computer comes with 3GB of RAM and a 64-bit OS? :)

And I think there's a typo there, 3GB SATA Hard Drive? Possibly more like 320GB? And the last point that comes to mind is the PSU, I've never like them in the pre-builds, I always replace them where I can.

If you aren't interested in building your own (which is fine, completely your choice), then give me a link of where you are looking to purchase and I'll browse through a bit and select some examples of what I think are good and why, to help you in your decision.

Let me know. :)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Yeah, if you want to build your own, that's the way to go, but I know that doesn't seam feasible or even possible to some.

Another route Troy didn't mention was buying a custom pre-built machine. I can't say IBUYPOWER or CYBERPOWER is a great company or not (though they seem the most popular for pre-built gaming machines) but you may want to look at them.

Take a look at them on this list of $500-$750 PC's Newegg has for sale... http://www.newegg.co...st....00 - $750

Edited by Ferrari, 04 April 2010 - 08:54 PM.