Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HDMI Fix for Sound not coming through TV from Laptop

• Please log in to reply

AF_Money

AF_Money

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
So I'm trying to watch a movie from my laptop to my Samsung 52" flat screen. I get the video but no sound. Sound comes only from the laptop and not the TV. All the other forums tell me to go right click on my speaker icon in my taskbar, playback devices, and set the HDMI option as default. This will probably help 90% of the people out there.

My problem is, I don't have an HDMI option in my sound playback options. I read forums that said it worked in vista (which mine did also), but not Win 7, and the only workaround is to plug a male-male connector from the SPDIF from my laptop to the analog port on my TV. The most technically advacned TV and a brand new laptop with the latest and greatest version of windows should not have this problem.

So what's the fix? Here's what I did to make it work:

I personally have an ACER Aspire 4810TZ laptop. It came with 64 bit Vista with an Intel GMA 4500MHD/ 1244MB video card. I bought it at the end of 2008 which gave me the free upgrade to Win 7. The problem with the upgrade disk as opposed to the retail is you have to manually update a lot of the drivers to get the full experience of Win 7 as opposed to just letting the Win 7 setup file find everything for you.

Keep in mind,many people say this issue is not a driver issue. And the fact that its a "video card" driver makes you think, "What the... does that have to do with sound?" I went to the Acer website and found the driver download section. I selected the Win 7 video card drivers for 64 bit and to downloaded the Intel VGA driver for Win 7 64 bit. I ran the setup wizard for the "new" driver. It gave me an error message saying something to the effect of "this driver is older than the driver you have currently installed. do you wish to continue?" I clicked "yes".

Lo and behold after it was done downloading I had an HDMI input option in my sound properties. I set the HDMI as the default sound device and walaa! Full video and sound comes from my tv through the HDMI cable from my laptop! Hope this helps others with the same issue. Apparently its a pretty common problem with Win 7 upgrades from vista :)

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Thank you - I'm sure it will help other members with the same problem.