Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please can you help?

• Please log in to reply

angeleyes1802

angeleyes1802

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this on. Just wondering if anycone can help me please?

I have spent the last 48 hours shifting some nasy spyware and viruses off my computer. Everything is now in order and sorted, except on my desktop. Normally when you right click and bring up 'display properties' you have 5 options (eg. themes, change background, etc) - instead i just have screensavers and settings. Anyone know how to change this back to normal please?

Thank you

Mary

Advertisements

the_Jackal

the_Jackal

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
It's possible the problem could be in Group Policy, go to start and run and type "gpedit.msc"

This will open the group policy editor, in there you can restric access to various thing but all the desktop stuff is in the "administritive templates" under "user configuration"

It is very easy to use, if you want to deny access to the screensaver tab for instance you would go "user configuration", "administritive templates", "control pane", "display" and then double click the "hide screen saver tab" enable prevents access and disable allows access.

Hope this helps

angeleyes1802

angeleyes1802

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi

Thank you for that. I have now have all the tabs back on the display properties box. However, the desktop background i now a very pale cream, and is refusing to let me change background. I have tried clicking on change background in display properties, clicking on apply and ok, and also clicking on apicture and save as background, but nothing is showing excpet the pale cream background. Any ideas?

Thanks again

Mary

the_Jackal

the_Jackal

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Can you try and save an image to the C:\Windows directory then try and apply that as a background and tell me what happnens.

the_Jackal

the_Jackal

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
oh by the way the image should be a jpeg or bmp. sorry if telling you how to suck eggs there....

the_Jackal

the_Jackal

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
oh and somet else to try is changing the appearence colour scheme under appearence in display properties...

angeleyes1802

angeleyes1802

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi - dont worry - ive no idea what im doing with computers - how do i save it to the directory?

angeleyes1802

angeleyes1802

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
- ive tried changing the colour - i can change the icon colour (ie the wirting underneath - but the actual cream colour is staying there - its like theres just a plain cream background saved that wont be removed

the_Jackal

the_Jackal

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
when you have the image open in paint or what ever click on file, save change the location shown e.g. my documents, my computer, to C:\ in there is a folder called windows, give it a name and click on save, again do the same if right clicking and choosing the "save image as" on an image on the internet.

the_Jackal

the_Jackal

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
can you take a screen shot for me.

Hit the printscrn key on your keyboard, usually along the top of the keyboard, open microsoft paint, go to edit click on past and then save it and attach it with your next post.

angeleyes1802

angeleyes1802

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Still no luc im afraid - desktop image is attached

Attached Files

angeleyes1802

angeleyes1802

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
still no luck im afraid - desktop image is attached

thanks again

mary

angeleyes1802

angeleyes1802

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Attached File  zip_file.zip   32.44KB   229 downloadshi - sorry that didnt work - hope this is better

the_Jackal

the_Jackal

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
sorry i havent got back sooner...

see what you mean about the desktop, this may sound like a silly question but when you go to display properties, if you select a wallpaper and then click on apply does it actually appear on the desktop of your computer?

as for changing the cream colour go into appearence and choose a color scheme that suits you, you can also customise the colour scheme easily in the appearence screen too to a colour scheme that suits you.

angeleyes1802

angeleyes1802

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi

Thank again. In the appearance tab, whatever colour i have chosed shows in the box as being in the entire screen, but when i lcick on apply, that doesnt happe,. With regrds to picking the wallpaper, it lets me select the wallpaper i want to have on the desktop, shows me in the tab what it will look like, and when i click on apply says please wait and thinks for a few minutes - but nothing happens. its like theres something else there blocking anything from showing apart from the cream

Thanks

Mary