Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help Fixing Broken Slot in Extarnal Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts
It is a standard 3 1/2 (desktop)drive which will fit in any enclosure. This is provided the interface is correct (ide or SATA).

Advertisements

Mikeme

Mikeme

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
:)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

This is provided the interface is correct (ide or SATA)

Yeah, earlier in the topic I told him to post pictures of the back or describe what the back interfaces look like so I could help link him to the right kind of enclosures. I think some do both, but I don't know how reliable they are???

Edited by Ferrari, 02 April 2010 - 08:16 AM.

Stubbies

Stubbies

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I found a casing on amazon that supported both ide and SATA (with presumable reliability, because I know Ferrari was hesitant about dual casings) and wanted to get some opinions:

http://www.amazon.co...I...527&sr=8-20

It got better reviews than any other casing I saw. The main thing I liked about it is that it seems to have a different port from my last casing (meaning this problem won't happen again), it dissipates heat well, and it has a user-friendly installation guide.

The only real problem I have with it is that it's more expensive than some of the other casings, so between that casing and the torx I'll be repaying almost 2/3 the original price I bought the external hard drive for in the first place.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I don't see anything out of the ordinary that would make this case not worth buying. On Newegg.com 57% gave it the best rating of 5 eggs, and an additional 19% gave it 4 eggs... so that is pretty good. Here it is on Newegg.com... http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817729002

Newegg has great customer service and if it doesn't work I'm quite sure they'll let you return it without much hassle or no hassle at all. So that is something to consider. (Newegg is very well known among the geek world for computer parts)

The only real problem I have with it is that it's more expensive than some of the other casings, so between that casing and the torx I'll be repaying almost 2/3 the original price I bought the external hard drive for in the first place.

If you already had the data backed up and didn't need to get it off of the hard drive, then I would definitely recommend just buying another external. However, what you initially concerned about is getting the data off of it, and for data recovery the price is only as cheap/expensive as how important the data is to you. See? Look at it that way.

Also, from the looks of your original enclosure, the drive does seem a little dated, so saving up some money and buying another external may be something you should consider / buy an internal 3.5" bare drive to put in your new enclosure. 320gb SATA HERE. Or, once you get the DATA, make sure you have it backed up on 1 or more other computers along with the external drive, so if it dies, you don't lose your data. Generally, two devices don't die at the same time unless it is due to a fire or natural disaster of some sort.

Just some thoughts to consider. I wonder what others think of the external drive enclosure you linked to.

Edited by Ferrari, 02 April 2010 - 10:30 AM.

Stubbies

Stubbies

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I went to Home Depot and showed one of the workers my hard drive, but the screwdriver that the dunce told me to buy has a six-pronged star, whereas mine has five prongs...so now I have to make a return trip to get the right screwdriver. Thank you Home Depot.

Mikeme

Mikeme

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Stubbies, have a look see, this looks to be the kind of torx you have ie 5 star torx tamper resistant. Of course you don`t need a full set, just the right size 5 point tamper resistant screw driver for your screw. Here: http://www.amazon.co...T/dp/B0026WMIV4

Edited by Mikeme, 03 April 2010 - 09:31 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Thank you Home Depot

I always try to remember that people working in stores like this aren't the experts. They are just a regular guy/girl making a little above minimum wage... most don't know much more than the person they are helping. Especially like in Best Buy... drives me nuts!!! I just tell them "just looking, thank you" now because the questions I do have are to advanced for them usually. :)

Stubbies

Stubbies

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Alright, so I got the right screwdriver and I ordered the case that I posted a picture of. I just spent two hours meticulously transplanting my hard drive from one enclosure to the other, making sure everything's plugged in as it should be. I connect my new enclosure to the computer, it reads it for a second, says that it's installed, and then the icon that had once appeared in the lower right hand corner of the screen disappears altogether and I can't access my hard drive. Disconnecting/reconnecting and restarting my computer has lead to nothing; the hard drive isn't even read by the computer anymore (ie, the message in the lower right hand corner hasn't appeared since I first plugged it in). Here are all the things I can think of that could have possibly gone wrong:

1. I didn't plug something in right (I doubt this is the case because because as I mentioned I spent 2 hours following the easy to understand directions, and there was only two things to plug in, but this IS my first time doing this).
2. The jumper is in the wrong position (I also doubt that this is the case since I just left it in the same spot it was in for my previous enclosure).
3. My computer is missing something that is required to read the hard drive. The instructions say that the only thing I need to have installed though is the USB 2.0 driver, which I've had for a long time.
4. The hard drive itself is broken (let's hope this isn't the case...)

Just for reference my hard drive is a PATA, and when I turn it on in its new enclosure it audibly spins/operates as it did in the previous enclosure. I'm trying to use it on a Fujitsu N-series Lifebook with Windows XP.

Does anyone have any tips for finding what the problem is, or if there could be an issue that I didn't mention above? In the meantime I'll be troubleshooting...

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
So when you go into "My Computer" it doesn't show up? Located under START.

Are you talking about this icon? HERE Or an icon for your external drive?

Let me know.

Advertisements

Stubbies

Stubbies

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
It neither shows up in "my computer" nor in the place indicated in your picture. When I first plugged it in a symbol did appear where your picture indicates, but it soon disappeared and has not reappeared on subsequent attempts.

To make sure it wasn't my computer I tested a thumb USB drive and it works fine. An indicator appears as in the picture, a separate window pops up asking what I want to do, AND it appears in My Computer. This is also what happened before my old enclosure broke, but it has not happened yet with this new enclosure.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts
Does it show up in disk management within computer management?

Lets take a look at the drives and partitions.

Go to start
Go to run
Type in compmgmt.msc
Click on OK
On the left side under storage...click on disk management.
Make sure the right side showing the drives is expanded so we can see it all.
Take a screen shot showing the drives and partitions.

Attach it to your reply.

Where is your jumper set?
You really have only 3 choices.

Seagate_Drive_jumpers.jpg

Stubbies

Stubbies

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
123Runner solved my problem with his jumper diagram! The fault, unfortunately, was in my assumption that since the hard drive had already been used in another enclosure, the jumper was in the correct position to start off with. However, upon closer inspection the jumper was set to "cable select" instead of "master", where it needed to be. The hard drive is now completely operable. Thanks to everyone for your help; I learned a lot.

Before this topic is closed though I was curious as to how my hard drive was able to operate normally in my other enclosure for 2.5 years with the jumper set to "cable select" instead of "master". Do some enclosures require different jumper settings?

Thanks again!

Mikeme

Mikeme

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Glad you got it figured out Stubbies :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts

Before this topic is closed though I was curious as to how my hard drive was able to operate normally in my other enclosure for 2.5 years with the jumper set to "cable select" instead of "master". Do some enclosures require different jumper settings?

Topics are never "completely" closed.
As for it working as CS in the other enclosure, "It's the miracle of electronics". We will never know. It could be just the fact something is a little different in the enclosure. That is why we asked you to try all positions.

Glad it is finally sorted out.