Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Choosing a motherboard

• Please log in to reply

gibsonsg2121

gibsonsg2121

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I'm trying to decide between Asus 785GT, Gigabyte 785GT, or Gigabyte 790GX. I've been leaning towards Asus because I like them a bit more and this one happens to be $20 off. However, I've read some problems about making its BIOS play nice with some memory.

And yes, I know they have onboard video. I'm on a tight budget. The Gigabyte 790GX has slightly better video.

I plan on putting a AMD Phenom II x2 555 BE and hoping I get lucky with more cores. Memory will be G.Skill 2x2gb 1600.

I appreciate your opinions!

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
The first two you link to use the 785 northbridge and 710 southbridge. The last Gigabyte board using the 790 north and 750 south which are better than the first two. So that is the better motherboard.

However, I think a happy medium would be to use the 785/710 combo with a Gigabyte board that offers USB 3.0 and SATA 6gb/s. Both of those features are brand new to the computer world proving faster speeds for USB data transfer and the SATA hard drives data transfer. Something worth considering for the years to come with this board. Take a look HERE It is $95.

If you'd rather have the 790/750 bridges AND have the USB 3.0 and SATA 6gb/s then THIS ONE is great for $124.

Let me know if you have any questions. I hope that helps so far. :)

EDIT: Almost forgot. You plan on using DDR3 1600, but ASUS board must be overclocked to attain that memory speed. The gigabyte boards seem to support up to 1600mhz quite well.

Edited by Ferrari, 29 March 2010 - 10:52 PM.

gibsonsg2121

gibsonsg2121

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey, that's really helpful. I was debating on whether to get a board with USB 3.0 or just wait for the technology to get more popular and put an adapter into a PCI slot. As for the SATA 6.0, that's really just gravy. 3.0 is fine with me, but I'll take better if it's not much price difference.

Here's what I'm looking at now: Comparison

The Gigabyte 785 has a ton of features, great price. It's also Micro ATX. I actually don't care about that. It's also the only one that seems to not need OC to run 1600 ram.

The Gigabyte 790 has a better video set, better bridges, but no USB 3.0 or SATA 6.0. $5 more.

The Gigabyte 890 trumps everything, but it's $40 more. Is it worth it?

Again, I really appreciate it. Thanks!

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Your link doesn't work, I guess you can't link to comparison's. It said I must pick products first before I click compare.

I think this one is the happy medium... http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128432

It's also the only one that seems to not need OC to run 1600 ram.

No, I checked them last time. On Neweggs site when looking at any of the Gigabyte boards: (and applies to any motherboard)

Click on the Manufacturer Info Tab
Then click on product page link
Once that manufactures page loads, on the right hand side there
will be a link to Memory Support List, click it.
A PDF document will be downloaded and installed onto
your computer. Scroll through... you will notice that
all the memories have special annotations until you get to
1600 and below speeds. So it will support 1600.

Also note, that if ever in doubt, always pick a memory listed on that list as it has been tested and verified as working with that board. With that said, there are so many memory modules out there that the list is not complete and there are many memory modules NOT on the list will work.

Hope that helps. :)

gibsonsg2121

gibsonsg2121

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

The Gigabyte 785 has a ton of features, great price. It's also Micro ATX. I actually don't care about that. It's also the only one that seems to not need OC to run 1600 ram.

The Gigabyte 790 has a better video set, better bridges, but no USB 3.0 or SATA 6.0. $5 more.

The Gigabyte 890 trumps everything, but it's $40 more. Is it worth it?

The link you just sent is the first one I mentioned. The second is this

The third is this

The one you said is a happy medium is actually the cheapest and lowest bridge-set of the three. I'm sorry the link didn't work. I tried it, and it just worked for me. Oh well.

Thank you again so much.

Edited by gibsonsg2121, 30 March 2010 - 10:30 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Thank you again so much.

You are very welcome. :)

Yeah to me the one I choose is a happy medium because the bridges are a little lower but it offers the USB 3.0 and all. Whichever one you pick, if you sat the two side by side and ran benchmarks... to the feel of the computer or "the naked eye" you probably wouldn't notice much a difference.

They are all pretty good.

gibsonsg2121

gibsonsg2121

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks! Have a great day!