Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Inspiron 6000 windows not loading, Please help.

• Please log in to reply

Gunner75

Gunner75

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I am far from a noob to PCs i built my own rig and had a stable 4.0ghz overclock in a week with a water cooled system. and that was on my first personally built system. Sadly i know dog squeeze for laptops. It would be greatly appreciated if someone can give me insight into what im not doing right.

***Update***
After making this post i went back to my bench and noticed the laptop has blue screened and says
Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registry can not load the hive (file):
\systemroot\system32\config\software
or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent, or not writeable.

The background
This Dell laptop belongs to a friends of mines son, hes in college and is on a VERY limited income, so he has no possible way to purchase a new one. He has done his homework and does not qualify for a grant to purchase a new one either. So were basically stuck with the one we got. So i have been tasked to fix the problem. He took the laptop to someone at the school to have it checked, and they tell him his hard drive is "toast". Hes asked that if at all possible that he be able to keep the files and papers on the laptop. he has a backup of everything at school but says there are TONS of hoops to jump through to get the back up.

The problem
Press the power button and the laptop goes through its post process, and up comes the safe mode screen. I choose to load windows first. Windows goes through the load process, the XP status bar is at the bottom of the screen. The screen goes black like its transitioning from windows loading to the desktop. but the screen stays black. I wait for nearly an hour and the screen is still black. So i press the power button to shut down and then re-power the laptop. Once the laptop posts im back to the safe mode screen and i try loading XP in safe mode. This time the laptop starts to stream the loading of the windows xp drivers and then hangs at the windows/system32/drives/Mup.sys file. During this the hard drive is functioning, at least i think it is because the hard drive indicator light is flashing.

My tries

Ive tried setting the bios to boot off the DVD drive, and made an OEM XP DVD and CD disk. I power the system on and it tells me there are no bootable devices. I try loading the same OEM software onto a bootable usb thumb drive, making the bios to only load from a usb storage device. It doesn't even try it goes straight to a HDD boot.

My thoughts
Should i just say screw it and go right to putting a new hard drive in? Is the hard drive really "toast"? I can get him a new WD Scorpio Black 160GB 16MB Cache HDD from newegg for 59. He does have relatively slow memory (PNY pc2 3200 DDR2 400) so i figured id go ahead and throw in a memory upgrade (Kingston HyperX 2x1GB DDR2 667 PC2 5300) for $118 shipped with the hard drive. thats doing the labor for free since is a favor to my friend. Hes only got a 2.0ghz Intel Centrino cpu and i know the memory isnt NEEDED but it would make his pc run somewhat faster since he uses his pc for some applications that are memory intensive (that's what he said).

***Update***
I notified him of my thoughts and that i suggest a memory upgrade, he inquired as to a cpu upgrade as well. I found that it his cpu is a Pentium M CPU ID 06D8 socket 479, is there a cpu upgrade that can be purchased as a replacement for this cpu? If so will it work with his inspiron 6000?

Everyone's thoughts on what is wrong and what i can do to fix this is welcomed. It will be a week before this kid an get the cash together for me to order the parts so we have a week to discuss this issue. Thank you ahead of time.

Edited by Gunner75, 29 March 2010 - 09:33 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Personally built in a week PC with a stable overclocked water cooled processor OR Dell Inspiron 6000 to which below is the link for the user manual, the principle of getting into a computer that will not load Windows is basically the same.

However you have presumably run the Dell diagnostics. instructions in the manual
http://support.dell....om/D5181bk5.pdf

Gunner75

Gunner75

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Personally built in a week PC with a stable overclocked water cooled processor OR Dell Inspiron 6000 to which below is the link for the user manual, the principle of getting into a computer that will not load Windows is basically the same.

However you have presumably run the Dell diagnostics. instructions in the manual
http://support.dell....om/D5181bk5.pdf

Yes i personally built my first pc last summer and had a stable overclock in a week on a water cooled system, but that is besides the point the Dell 6000 is the one thats having issues running windows. i cant even get it to load the OS. Ill take a look at that manual and see what i can get going.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi Gunner75 :)

I wouldn't upgrade the memory till you get the OS working again.
The CPU upgrade on a laptop will be very difficult. Basicly, any other upgrades other than memory really won't help are are difficult to accomplish.

The error code of "registry file failure" points towards a OS problem. Of course there could be other reasons.

I try loading the same OEM software onto a bootable usb thumb drive, making the bios to only load from a usb storage device. It doesn't even try it goes straight to a HDD boot.

Depending on the age of the computer/laptop you may not have "boot from USB" available as a option.

We can test the hard drive using the manufacturers diagnostics. Since we do not know the manufacturer, we have to take a guess.

Hard drive test

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use Burncdcc Link is in my signature below

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you

1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool. If you are unsure of the drive manufacturer then you can try seagate diagnostics It sometimes works on other manufacturers.
NOTE: You can also try Hitachi because that is fairly standard in laptops.
========================================================================
We can also give you a way to retrieve the data. This is provided that the hard drive is not mechanically dead. This involves booting from a live linux CD. The program runs from the cd. You will be able to retrieve the data by using a flash drive.
Another way to retrieve the data is to put the laptop drive in a USB external enclosure.
==========================================================================
Get Puppy Linux Download this file:
puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
and burn it to cd
If you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get burncdcc from my signature below ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you

1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....

put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is in good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all yor data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..You must have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy.
============================================================================

How to use Puppy Linux
quick guide for saving data...music..files on a system that will not boot using puppy Linux..

after you get to puppy desktop..
click on the drives icon...looks like a flash drive...top row..it will list all the drives connected to your computer...

click on the red icon for the drive you want to mount...in this case its a flash drive ...puppy will mount the drive..the drive icon turns green when its mounted...
minimize the drives mounter window..you will need it again in a few minutes..
drag the right edge of it sideways to shrink it to its narrowest size...about half the width of the screen...then drag the window to the right edge of the screen...

now click on the icon that looks like a filing cabinet (kind of yellow) on the main drive...it should already be green..
you will see a list of all the folders on the main drive Usually your C: drive..shrink that window to the narrowest you can..about half the width of the screen...drag that window to the left side of the screen...at this point you should have 2 windows open on your desktop..the flash drive on the right side..
go back to the folders on the C: drive...click on the documents and settings folder...then your user name or all users..find the folders that has your data..
drag and drop the folder with the data you want to make copies of to the flash drive window...

your options are to move ..copy ect...JUST COPY..if its to big you will have to open the folder and drag and drop individual files until the flash drive is full...
(I have a 120 GB external USB drive for big data recovery jobs and a 4 GB flash drive for the smaller jobs)..after you get the files copied to
the flash drive...Click on the drives mounter you minimized earlier
UNMOUNT THE FLASH DRIVE by clicking on the green icon..you will once in awhile get error messages when unmouting the drive..ignore them..
when the flash drive icon turns red again its safe to remove the flash drive..trot on over (stroll if you want to look cool) to another computer and plug in the flash
drive and copy all the data files ( I drag and drop) to the other computer..make sure the other computer can read them...

now delete the data on the flash drive...take it back to the misbehaving computer and plug it in again..
click on the drives icon again and repeat until you have all your data transferred to the working system..

Thanks to happyrock
============================================================================

123runner

Gunner75

Gunner75

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
well unfortunately it is a Toshiba drive, i did some searching of the actual error code and what i found is possible hard drive damage. This laptop was built in 2003 and purchased in early 2004. I did try to boot from a usb by setting the bios to boot from a usb but the laptop wouldnt boot, it tried as tho it was booting straight off the hard drive. I also tried to boot from a windows xp OEM disk and it wouldnt boot off that either. So im going to go ahead and try to get him a new hard drive and hope that fixes the issue. He is able to get a back up of everything thats on it since he has one at school.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
It most likely will not boot from USB due to age.

Did you change the boot sequence in the bios to boot from CD?
If you can't get it to boot from CD, then you will have trouble even if you replace the drive.

Did you try the Seagate diagnostics?
Did you try Puppy Linux to get the files?
Did you try any other boot CD?