Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My System Information Will Not Display

• Please log in to reply

Braind

Braind

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
When I try to open My System Information, it will not display. I also can not get Help to display. This has been happening for months.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Please tell me something more.
What have you tried.
What else is not working as it should.
How much ram is in the computer and what size is the Hard Drive.
How much FREE space is there on the hard drive.
I realise you cannot open System Info, but do you have a rough idea.
In the meantime, presuming that the internet connection works run this and report results please.
http://onecare.live....-Us/default.htm
PLEASE NOTE - You will have to disable your pop-up blocker and watch the Info bar on your browser for permission to run the add-on.

Braind

Braind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
It has been several months since I have been able to use System Information OR Help, so I don't even have a rough idea on the system information you requested. Is there a way for me to obtain that information by another method?

The following is something that happened about 3 weeks ago, after I used a product to repair PC from Reimage:

Recently, my computer (with Windows XP Media Center, SP 3) started to show this error sign right after I switch on the computer, with the desk top icons and the task bar.

-----

Explorer.Exe Application Error
The instruction at "0x7342611a" referenced memory at "0x7342611a".
The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program

-----

At this point, I can see all the desk top icons and the task bar. But, once I click on "OK", all the icons on the desk top screen and the task bar itself disappear for like 30 seconds. This comes back, except the (SpywareGuard)SG icon on the task bar does NOT reappear. My Process Manager indicates SG is actually running, but I am unable to open SpywareGuard.

On the other hand, when I click on "CANCEL", it would soon show the "DrWatson Postmortem Debugger" sign which basically asks to send the information to Microsoft because they couldn't really debug. There is also "debug" button on it. If I click on it, the cursor will freeze for more than 10-15 minutes (after that, I gave up and restarted the computer via Windows Task Manager). If I click on "don't send the report", then the same with above -- all the icons on the desk top screen and the task bar itself disappear for a while and then they reappear.

I also get a Program /server is busy error message right after the 0x7342611a error message. I am asked to choose either switch or retry. Sometimes hitting the switch button works and my PC boots up; other times it doesn't (Retry doesn't work at all) and I need to shut down my PC and reboot up again.

I think this is from a Reimage Repair I used prior to all of this happening. Are you familiar with Reimage?
I contacted their support and they have completely ignored me (have answered only one of my emails and that was to tell me to do the Undo software they have as part of the package and then do the Repair in Safe Mode). They did give me a refund, but that doesn't fix this problem!

After I did the Reimage Repair, my Webroot WISE (Webroot Internet Security Essentials)could not complete an anti- virus scan without freezing my PC. So I ran the Reimage Undo program (as per their instructions the one and only time their support answered my emails) and that caused other problems. So I did Restore for my PC, picking a date (to restore my PC to) that was the day before I ran the Reimage repair. That's when this reboot problem happened and is happening ever since then.
I sent numerous emails to Reimage about this, but they haven't answered me. Yep, I will NEVER use Reimage again.

Okay, now things are getting strange.
I used the Restore function again and chose 2/22/10 as my restore point.
Well, Restore did its job and everything worked, the (SpywareGuard)SG icon even popped up in my bottom tool bar!
Then, I rebooted again and the same error message happened again, the SG icon was gone, etc.

So, if I use Restore and never reboot (or use Restore after every reboot), my PC will be fine! Strange, very strange. Does this latest development prove that malware/spyware is NOT the problem or the opposite?

I tried the Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, but that didn't help. There is no virus nor malware on my PC, as far as I can tell.
I was not able to complete a OTL scan. I would receive an error message saying:
')' is not a valid integer value.
I could not find any ')' integer to delete, so the scan would not run.

I will run the software you had in your post. I have used that before and it took over 6 hours to do a scan, so please give me a few days to run it and post the results.
Thanks.

Braind

Braind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Unfortunately, my PC freezes when I try to run the MS Onecare scan. I tried three times and after about one hour, my PC freezes each time I run this scan.
Therefore, I am not able to run this scan.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I was beginning to think this indicates a fault with the ram, but as system restore works and the computer is then fine, I have come to the conclusion that a program or utility that was NOT there on the 22/2/10 but immediately reactivates on reboot is the cause of the problem. This is very possible.
WHEN the computer is OK, click START, click RUN, type "msconfig".
At the STARTUP tab have a look what is shown and make a note of it.
Now reboot. Do the same again and compare.
If there is a difference, disable the additional item on Startup.
Now reboot.
Pls report the results.

Braind

Braind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
My PC has not had a time when it booted up okay, as you describe in your last post, so I could not implement your instructions.
I did try something else, where I disabled all start up programs, rebooted, and I still had the same problem.

I am working with Sweetech (from geekstogo.com) on the OTHER problem (exe. error message problem) I mentioned in a previous post here right now and we are having a very difficult time fixing it. When that problem gets fixed, I still think this one will still exist, because this problem predates the exe problem by several months.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
You are working in the Malware forum.

We can't continue here until you are done there.
When you are given a clean bill of health then come back here to work on anything else that you might still have problems with.

123runner

Braind

Braind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Update:

i am trying to do a reformat and reinstall, but unfortunately, when I get in to the recovery function, instead of getting the Recovery Welcome screen that asks me if I want to continue the Recovery process, I get a screen that says:

"File \minint\System 32\vgaoem.fon could not be loaded

The error code is 14

Set up cannot continue. Press any key to exit."

I am hopeful that once I do the reformat/reinstall, this will resolve the System Information problem.
Now. if I could only do the reformat/reinstall!

Braind

Braind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
I did a reformat and reinstall of my PC. This has solved many problems, including the non- display of System Information and Help; these now display normally.

This topic can be closed now.

Thanks for your help. It is greatly appreciated.