Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant run an exe file

• Please log in to reply

Rmend12

Rmend12

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm trying to run a .exe file on my computer which is running Windows XP SP3.

Each time I click it the box that says "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

I am able to run the same file on Vista and W7 by running it "as administrator" but I do not have that option on XP.

I have tried starting XP in safe mode and under administrator tried to change the security properties but it said my account (which is the only computer account and an admin account) already had all permissions to the file. I did change the ownership of it to Administrator but that did not help.

I tried searching troubleshooting for this problem but had no luck so far.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
What is the file please, that maybe where the answer lies.

Rmend12

Rmend12

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Renamed.exe

As I stated it works fine on Vista and W7 running it as admin I just need help fixing the properties so that I have permissions and ownership to run the file. Taking into consideration the steps I previously tried.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
http://www.webxpace....a...tart_from=

I am not sure if this is the one you are talking about.
Whether it is or not, I am not prepared to spend any time on this. Please do not be offended, perhaps someone else will help.
However there are more pressing problems for which people need help than not being able to get a "tweak" such as this to run. My advice would be, do not run it anyway. But, it is your computer.

Rmend12

Rmend12

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
No that is not the program. The program I am using like I stated twice already works fine on other operating systems of my own and my friend has his working on XP as well. So the problem is only with my computers settings not the program, as to which I am unsure on how to fix.

Rmend12

Rmend12

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I can run the program in safe mode under admin but not normal windows mode