Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

32Bit Win7 & new RAM

• Please log in to reply

Gouverneur

Gouverneur

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
My life Partner, Gloria is running 32bit Win7 Ultimate on my old ASUS System.
A7N8X-E Deluxe Motherboard with AMD Athlon 3200+ CPU.

System originally had 1GB of RAM (2 * 512KB)

I replaced the 2*512KB with 3*1GB. Win7 would not load. There was a message about a missing device.

That system is running Win XP Home & Win XP Professional as well as Win7 (Paragon Partiton Manager & Boot Manager are controlling multi-OS System).

Both XP's ran okay with the 3GB of RAM & memory testing during boot-up indicates that the memory is functional.

Win7 loads & runs okay with 2GB of RAM, which is the current configuration.

I tried various scenarios, including loading in Safe Mode (Safe Mode Win7 did not load).

On my newer system with 8GB of RAM, 64Bit Win7 Ultimate loads & runs okay. This system is also a Multi-OS system: 32 & 64Bit XP Pro, XP Home, & Win7 Ultimate. Of course the 32Bit OS's do not see all the RAM, but run okay.

Does anyone here run 32Bit Win7 with 3GB of RAM?

Does anyone have advice about the above?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Memory test during boot-up (prior to Windows loading) is about as much use as a chocolate fire-guard.
A better memory tester is something like this: http://www.memtest.org/

This board seems to have a bunch of issues under 7 and they seem all tied to the SATA RAID controller, the Sil3112a. Therefore if you don't use it, switch it off in the BIOS.