Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

'Cannot find locally stored profile'

• Please log in to reply

cleanprophet

cleanprophet

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
I was sent here from the Malware section:

Malware thread

Sometimes when I boot up the computer I am told: "User Enviroment - Windows cannot find the locally stored profile..".

The computer then boots up in a new profile. I have to reboot and the profile is found.

Advertisements

magical2099

magical2099

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
sorry about the wait partna, most of the real pros are overworked. i'm just another member but i'll help as much as able.

okay, just off the top of my head this sounds like a faulting harddrive. open a command prompt (start, run- type in 'cmd' no quotes hit enter) in the command prompt window type 'Chkdsk' no quotes and hit enter. then go grab a cup of coffee cause it can take a minute depending on the harddrive size and amount on it.

here are some quick questions: have you deleted, merged, or renamed any profiles on the PC? XP does funny things when you do this.

you may have already answered this one but i couldn't find it: what OS are you running exactly? service pack and bit please.

Edited by magical2099, 03 April 2010 - 02:54 PM.

magical2099

magical2099

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Just on a wild hair, i looked around the threads here and found this and this which may solve your issue if you haven't tried them yet. many times a search to check other's fixes can keep you from waiting so long :)

cleanprophet

cleanprophet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
I'll have a try of one of the fixes mentioned in the forum.

I ran CHKDSK. It said there was a problem with the system file that could be fixed using CHKDSK with /F. I typed CHKDSK/F, but it said it couldn't run the fix at the moment because the program was in use (or something like that). It asked me if I want to run the fix next time the system is started up and I clicked yes. So, I'll see if anything happens next time I boot the computer.

I initially had the XP Antivirus malware. I had to set up a new profile to be able to access the internet. That profile had problems and so I set up a 3rd profile. Once the problems were sorted I removed the additional profiles, but it seems that creating these profiles had an impact on the main profile.

magical2099

magical2099

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
yeah partna, adding and removing profiles tends to make XP do strange things. hopefully one of those fixes will work for ya, cause all my research so far is not looking too good

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you run chkdsk /r...
are you still having issues...if so ...give us a detailed explanation