Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SOUND CARD

• Please log in to reply

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
I have just reinstalled Windows XP Home on my Dell 4600. All seemed fine until I noticed I cannot get any music to play. Tried to play an MP3 file & Windows MedPlayer tells me "Cannot playback the audio stream: no audio hardware is available or hardware is not responding". Tested system sounds in Control Panel but will not let me select anything to play....The various sound files are selectable but the Play icon is shown as faint. Ran Dell Diagnostics which told me only analogue music can be played, & gave error codes 1B22:0F1B & 1B22:101B. I tried also to play from the back panel sound card connection (motherboard socket I believe - is definitely no additional card installed) but getting same result. I could not find any drivers on the Dell Resource CD that I seem to need to reinstall. After grinding through the various help topics on the PC that I can find related to this, it seems the only thing I cannot check at this point is to turn on the sound in the BIOS....but many cautions given before doing this!! Can anyone help me on this?....It just seems I need to do something simple as the sound system was working just fine before I reinstalled XP!

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Have you checked in the device manager?
  • Click Start
  • Right Click My Computer
  • Select Properties
  • Bring hardware tab forward (should be by default)
  • Click Device Manager
Are there any yellow exclamation points or question marks? Red X's?

I'm willing to bet you haven't installed the driver for the sound or possible for other devices as well.

If there is a yellow marks for anything you can find the drivers for each on Dell's website. HERE are the ones for your computer.

Let me know how it goes and keep me updated. :)

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
Thanks for the quick response! I have been thru Device Manager already, but only have yellow ??'s against 'Other Devices' folders, which lists Ethernet Controller, Multimedia Controller, SM Bus Controller & Video Controller (VGA Compatible). Originally I was looking at 'Sound, Video & Game Controllers' folders, & they show a small speaker icon against all the sub folders listed, which I understood as meaning it was OK. Previously I had been using the Resource CD that came with the PC to update the drivers thinking this might fix it but it seems I have already updated everything that the disk thinks I should update! So I downloaded the linked files you sent (from section 'Audio' - four of them)on to a folder I created on my C: drive, but then noticed that I am unable to extract anything from my C: drive....or rather when searching for the drivers the Hardware Update Wizard advised 'location does not contain any device information files'. I typed in the path name to be sure but it still does not highlight 'OK' to let me proceed to copy over the files. :)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

So I downloaded the linked files you sent (from section 'Audio' - four of them)on to a folder I created on my C: drive, but then noticed that I am unable to extract anything from my C: drive

You don't need to extract anything. Just double click the setup file and install it like you would a software program. The hardware wizard will appear as the driver is installed because the computer will now recognized new hardware... ignore it... hit cancel. Once the install is complete, go back in the device manager and you will see one of the yellow questions marks will be gone. Restarts may be required.

The SM BUS Controller is your Chipset... this is important and must be installed before you install the sound driver. HERE is the chipset/SM BUS driver. Download it, save it to your desktop, double click that file, follow installation procedures... ignore the new hardware wizard.

Multi Media Controller is the Sound. HERE is the driver. Download it, save it to your desktop, double click that file, follow installation procedures... ignore the new hardware wizard.

Ethernet Controller is your Internet Port. HERE is the driver. Same installation procedures as above.

VGA is your onboard graphics/video card. HERE is one of the video driver's listed. There are several, that is my best guess.

To be sure about the video driver, once you have internet...

Install PC Wizard:
  • Click PC Wizard in my signature
  • Click PC Wizard 2010.1.93 on the top left
  • Save the file to your Desktop
  • Double Click the setup file
  • Follow installation instructions
  • Once installed, open PC Wizard up
  • Click System Summary Posted Image (Should be highlighted by default)
What is listed for your graphics card/Video Card? Then I should know what driver to pick.

Edited by Ferrari, 30 March 2010 - 06:39 PM.

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
OK let me work on that.......I also have to get the machine back on to the Internet as we decided to go WiFi in the house & now there are laptops & netbooks instead of the old Dell box.....Getting the Dell box fixed is a bit of a hobby now - one of those things that you must fix& I get to learn something on the way!!
The video card is a Nvidia GE Force FX5200. Thanks again!

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

The video card is a Nvidia GE Force FX5200

That helps a ton. Then THIS is your driver.

Good luck, post back if you have problems. :)