Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I have a HP 17" laptop, the monitor is broken.

• Please log in to reply

artm12

artm12

Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
HI Friends,
I have a HP 17" laptop, the monitor is broken. Is there any way to connect a 20 " staples monitor to it, a temperary solution untill i can get it fixed.

Thanks,
James

Edited by artm12, 31 March 2010 - 04:45 AM.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Sure. many laptops have a D-Sub VGA port to attach a standard VGA graphics cable just like that on the back of a desktop PC. It will be rectangular-shaped, silver bezel with a blue or grey-coloured block having 15 tiny connector-holes in it. Connect your staples monitor to that with a standard VGA cable.

However, you may have a problem if the laptop screen is completely trashed, because it's sometimes necessary to go into Display Settings to enable an external display before a video signal is routed to the external port. Obviously, with a trashed screen you won't be ableto see anything to enable that setting. Hopefully that won't be necessary in your case and the laptop will already be set up to send a video signal through the external port by default.

My son recently had to connect an external monitor to his laptop - the laptop screen had just a narrow strip which worked but he managed to see just enough of Windows to set the display output to the external port!

Be aware that not all laptops have an external monitor port, but most modern ones do. Good luck!

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 30 March 2010 - 10:33 AM.