Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can not turn on automatic update, had hijack.windowsupdate malware

• Please log in to reply

rsinsz

rsinsz

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
hi, i've been working with gammo in malware. he got rid of hijack.windowsupdate. we tried several things to get auto update on including dial-a-fix. he said maybe you could help.ron

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services, check on list for "Automatic Updates" Left click once and you will see that this is the one you need.
Now double click and the Properties box will open.
Check that it is configured for Automatic, the configuration will actually have been shown when you first looked at the Service

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

This is the path to executable for that service.
If the service is listed but the path to executable is not shown, come back pls, you will have to rebuild the System files.
Do you have the XP CD

Edited by Macboatmaster, 30 March 2010 - 03:01 PM.

rsinsz

rsinsz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
hi, i followed your directions. the path is there. i sent a screenshot. ron

Attached Thumbnails

• New5.jpg

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The path will still be shown even if the file is corrupted.
Run a search for the file, remembering to search for hidden files on the search commission.
Do you have the XP CD
If so you can run scannow.

rsinsz

rsinsz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
hi, i tried to run sfc /scannow. sfc was disabled in the reg. so i fixed that. i then ran sfc /scannow. nothing showed up. should i have my xp cd in the drive when i ran scannow?

NOW, HERE IS THE STRANGE THING. WHEN I GOT ON MY COMPUTER THIS MORNING, THERE WERE UPDATES THERE TO BE INSTALLED. I RAN SEVERAL SCANS (MALWAREBYTES AND AVG) ON MY C: DRIVE. THEY CAME UP CLEAN. I INSTALLED THE UPDATES, RAN THE SCANS AGAIN AND EVERYTHING IS STILL CLEAN.
i dont understand how auto updates is working even though security center shows it as disabled.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
If when you ran scannow it required any system files, then it would indicate that it was necessary to insert the CD. Did you watch it or just leave it.

Have you enabled Automatic Updates in Control Panel. Use the Automatic Updates icon, and see if it stays that way.

My opinion is that the system file was damaged and has now been repaired from scannow. It does not always require the CD.

If running IE (it will not work with Mozilla etc, go to this Microsoft link and run this
http://onecare.live....-Us/default.htm

No need to create a restore point, it does so automatically.
As you exit, watch check box, share info with Microsoft.
This tool is very good, be aware it checks the MGA validation.

Pls post if fixed OR otherwise

rsinsz

rsinsz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
hi, i ran the scan with ie8. it picked up 2 minor things and fixed my reg. (321 errors) when i got done i went to auto update in control panal. everything was still greyed out. i dont know how, but it appears auto updates is working even though it says it is disabled. unless you have anymore suggestions, might as well close this. thanks ron

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Cheers. Cannot understand that one.
Pls come back if a problem.