Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Device Manager Problem..

• Please log in to reply

liefman360

liefman360

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Ok If anyone has an idea how to fix this its killing me and I want to break the computer. I have a desktop HP Pavilion a1310y with an Asus Motherboard P5GC-MX/1333. I just reformatted the computer and in my device manager I have a yellow question mark next to my High Definition Audio Bus And VGA(Video Controller) those are the only two with problems. I have went to the hp website and downloaded the original spring drivers when I try to install them it says use the device manager the files are stored in the C Folder. Now I do have internet and usually I can just update the yellow question mark in device manager through the Inet but this time its not letting me. I am rdy to Mud Stomp this computer any help would be appreciated!!!!! Thanks. :)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what you need to do is locate where on your hard drive the files got extracted to (possibly somethng like c:\hp)...then open up device manager, right click on the device and choose "update driver" when it asks if you want to install the software automatically or install from a list, choose to install from a list and press next, check the box next to include this location, then browse to the location of the driver files and press next

liefman360

liefman360

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Ok Let Me Give that a shot real quick and I will get back with you in a sec thanks for the help ^^

liefman360

liefman360

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Ok so the files are stored In C:/Softpaq thats where it is telling me to install them from and when I go there and do what you suggested it says it cant be installed because it cannot find the necessary harware =/

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
in that softpaq folder, is there anything like "setup.exe" or "install.exe"?

liefman360

liefman360

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
There is a file called Install with the Hp symbol but when I click that one thats when it tells me to install it through device manager. Sorry for taking so long to respond.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you try updating your chipset driver...here
nojoy...
try using microsoft updates ...do a custom scan and on the left side...click on hardware...get any it says you need

liefman360

liefman360

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Yes sir I did the custom installs for the Updates I was hoping that would fix it. Let me try this that you have here and I will let ya know.

liefman360

liefman360

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Ok I tried to update the chipset drivers and the file installed and everything but the High Defenition Audio Bus and the VGA controller still have the yellow question yarks by them. There isnt any new updates I can put of the computer from the updates list.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try the drivers here from asus...
Version 5.10.0.5506
Description Realtek HD Audio Driver v5.10.0.5506 for Windows 32bit XP& 64bit XP. (WHQL)

Edited by happyrock, 03 April 2010 - 10:12 AM.

Advertisements

liefman360

liefman360

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Ok let me give a shot at that, will get back with you shortly. Thanks again Happy.

liefman360

liefman360

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
THAT HELPED! But, we are still having some issues. In the device manager we still have the yellow question mark next to Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus. Still cannot run mmorpg without shutting down the entire computer. Before the re-format we could play the game no problem, so I am sure I am just missing something. Thanks for the help!!!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
there was another driver at that link for High Definition Audio...try it
I still think its a chipset driver though...
if all else fails try the chipset drivers from that link too

Edited by happyrock, 03 April 2010 - 05:54 PM.

liefman360

liefman360

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Wonderful! Excellent!!!! Everything is working except now there is no volume. :) Any suggestions?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep...do you have the volume icon in the taskbar ...if so click it and slide the bar up...
no icon ... Add the Volume icon
To add the Volume icon to the notification area of your computer, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Copy and paste or type the following command in the Open box,
mmsys.cpl...and then click OK
3. Click to select the Place volume icon in the taskbar check box.
4. Click OK.

If the Volume icon is displayed in the notification area of your computer...
left click it and slide the bar up...