Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ram upgrade question

• Please log in to reply

mad_skillz

mad_skillz

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
hello,

in my computer now i have 512mb of ram at 333mhz.and i found out that i can use ddr400 ram.so my question is that the 400mhz is faster then the 333mhz that i have in there now.so can i add 2 more gb of ddr400 mhz and leave the 512 mb of 333 mhz in there or will i need to take it out.

thanks

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
A faster ram speed will allow the computer to run a little faster provided that the board will accept the faster ram.
If it will take the faster ram, you do not want to put the slower in there at the same time. Doing so will most likely allow the computer to work, but the ram speed will default to the slower speed.

Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system. You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

Go to HERE and run the 4All online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system. You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

123runner

mad_skillz

mad_skillz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
hi,

i believe it can support the 400mhz.because i have that pc wizard 2010.and i click on chipset and under northbridge information it says max ram support is ddr400 mhz.
so does that meen i can support the ddr400 mhz ram.

thanks

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Most likely.

Run the scanners anyways. It wont hurt to get another opinion.