Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unmountable Boot Volume window, 0X000000ED code

• Please log in to reply

revenger

revenger

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
My daughters Dell Latitude D600 laptop, when it is started up is giving me the blue screen with the stop code of ....Stop: oxooooooed (ox867a8628,oxcooooo9c, oxoooooooo,oxoooooooo) it will not allow me to do anything else but start it up and than takes me to what I just listed. She has not loaded any new hardware or software. It does not allow me to go to safe mode either.

She is running Windows xp. This computer was bought used and did not come with but the powercord. Have owed it three years and no major problems.

I see the same issue in this thread:http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Unmountable-Boot-Volume-t248189.html&gopid=1794139#entry1794139
and it speaks of placing a cd in the computer and burning an iso to the cd and numerous other things. The problem is that I cannot get the laptop to function at all.

Do I burn a copy, using another computer, than load it into the broken one? Sorry for my ignorance for something that is simple but I have found its always better to ask someone that knows what they are doing when I do not.

If I do not respond quickly to any questions it is because I will be gone for five days but I promised my daugher I would get started on this and as we all know, dad better come thru....

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Do I burn a copy, using another computer, than load it into the broken one?

yep

Sorry for my ignorance for something that is simple but I have found its always better to ask someone that knows what they are doing when I do not.

that is always the best thing to do.. :)
trying things on your own without any idea whats going to happen can and will usually screw things up worse then what you already have going on...

the link you put in your first post is broken...
so...
Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Your ISO is located on your desktop.

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....when you get to the screen that gives you the option to install or repair ...select r

when you get to the command prompt
type in chkdsk /r press enter
note the single space before the /

Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage. You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer.
NOTE this can take a long time to complete..it may even appear to hang or get stuck at a certain % for a couple of hours...then complete
it may even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...let it run...there are 5 stages
DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER WHILE RUNNING CHKDSK or you can have severe problems...

Edited by happyrock, 30 March 2010 - 07:17 PM.

revenger

revenger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
go here..download the following file: rc.iso....then run chkdsk /r from the rc.iso cd...

Ok, i went to the go here, download it to a blank cd...than I should run chkdsk/r from the rc.iso cd...
this is where am lost again, when i load the cd into the working computer it takes me to roxio burn cd program, is this where I want to be? Or do I try to load it into the non working computer?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
put the cd into the non working system...power up the computer...read the first screen it should say something like press F12 for boot order...select the cd/dvd drive as the first device..you only have a few seconds to do it or it will try to boot into windows normally and thats not what we are trying to do...we want to boot from the rc cd you just made and then test the hard drive on the non working computer...anything I ask to to download and burn will be on the working computer but after burning you will put the cd in the nonworking system because thats the one we are trying to fix..

revenger

revenger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I put the cd in the non working system, powered it up, pressed f12 and it stated one time boot. The cd/dvd/cd-rw drive is the second choice. I arrowed down to it, pressed enter and than it said loading windows and took me back to the original blue screen, with same problems as before. The choices given after the one time boot are:
internal hdd
cd/dvd/cd-rw drive
cardbus nic
onboard nic
diagnostics

I really appericate all your help so far. I am having to leave for 5 days in the morning and will not have access to the computer. I will check back as soon as I get back and thank you for your trouble

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you use burncdcc to burn the cd...

revenger

revenger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I used the burncdcc to burn the cd from the website you provided. I followed the rest of your instructions and I am now running it on the computer that was not working. I will advise on what occurs next and hopefully it is something with good results.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
good...we are making headway...
While chkdsk is running you will see a light blue window with a dark blue band at the top and bottom. or a black dos box depending on on which cd you use... Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage. You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer.

NOTE this can take a long time to complete..it may even appear to hang or get stuck at a certain % for a couple of hours...then complete...it may even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...let it run...there are 5 stages
DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER WHILE RUNNING CHKDSK or you can have severe problems...

if you are able to boot the misbehaving computer after running chkdsk /r on it
after this completes and you have rebooted then Go to Start...Run and type: eventvwr.msc press enter
When Event Viewer opens, click on Applications... then scroll down to Winlogon and double-click on it. This is the log created after running Checkdisk...copy and paste the log back here...

revenger

revenger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
It states:
CHKDSK is performing additional checking or recovery....
three times.

52% completed.
The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems.
c:\>

It is also making a very loud clicking type noise. Do I still just let it run? I know you said to let it run for long time but with the command prompt and the loud clicking noise, I did not know if this was common?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
it sounds like the hard drive is dead or dying...your going to have to replace the drive
is there data on it that you do not have backups of...
if so there are a few things we can try to recover the data

Edited by happyrock, 06 April 2010 - 09:50 AM.

revenger

revenger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Happyrock,
I had some problems with this computer in the past and of course went here to have them fixed. Most of them were fixed and than found out the hard drive was bad. I took it back and had them put another one in it. This was about two months ago. Seems the one they put in it, from what you are telling me, is not any good either. I am going to take it back and have them put another hard drive in it. I backed up everything for her, learned my lesson last time, to an external hard drive so I have everything she wants or needs saved. ( thanks to this website)

I apperciate all your time and help. The computer that was working that I ran everything on to fix hers is now locked up! I am opening up another topic for that one because I assume that is what you will request if I ask you any questions about that one. It is nice to know there are people like you willing to spend the time for people like me to fix computer problems. Many thanks to you

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I had some problems with this computer in the past and of course went here to have them fixed. Most of them were fixed and than found out the hard drive was bad. I took it back and had them put another one in it. This was about two months ago. Seems the one they put in it, from what you are telling me, is not any good either.

since the 'new" drive is having issues I would try replacing the data cable...just to be sure its not that causing the problem...
if it is the drive and its only 2 months old ...it should be under warranty

The computer that was working that I ran everything on to fix hers is now locked up! I am opening up another topic for that one because I assume that is what you will request if I ask you any questions about that one

yep...PM me a link to your new thread and I will assist you