Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD-ROM on Gateway Laptop M-6843 doesn't recognize discs

• Please log in to reply

Walker

Walker

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Hey guys I have a Gateway M-6843 notebook that went out of warranty a few months ago. I just noticed the CD-ROM doesn't recognize discs anymore. It will make a noise as soon as I put the disc again but never seems to spin completely, as if it doesn't realize that there is a disc inserted. The last time I used the CD-ROM successfully was about 4-5 days ago when I was watching my last Netflix DVD. I have watched the "My Computer" screen and it never shows the name of the disc inserted and when I try try to explore the disc it just opens up the tray asking to insert one.

The computer is now running Windows 7 by the way, other than that it is completely stock.

Thanks for your time!

Advertisements

Walker

Walker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Still haven't been able to fix it, driving me nuts!

Mikeme

Mikeme

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Try this: http://www.geekstogo...gone-file8.html

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
There are a few options I have listed below. One of which MikeMe linked too. If none of these work, then I would assume the drive has gone bad.

1. Uninstall the drive through the Device Manager
  • Click Start (in Vista/7 Click Windows Orb)
  • Right Click My Computer
  • Select Properties
  • Click on the Hardware Tab (In Vista/7 click Device Manager in top left corner)
  • Click Device Manager
  • Expand DVD/CD-ROM drives
  • Right click your drive
  • Select Uninstall (see image below)
  • Restart your computer
The drive will automatically be reinstalled

Posted Image

OR...

2. Go to Microsoft's Fix
  • Choose your Operating System's fix
  • A restart is required
OR...

3. Download Restore Missing CD Drive patch
  • Double Click cdgone.zip to unzip it(extract all files)
  • Right Click cdgone.reg
  • Click Merge
  • Accept the registry merge
  • Restart your computer
OR...

4. Go to the Device Manager (similar to option 1 above)
  • Expand IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
  • You'll see two items:
    - ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
    - ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
  • Right click on each of them
  • Select Uninstall
  • Confirm it
  • Restart your computer
They'll automatically be reinstalled.

Walker

Walker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
ok, ive tried cdgone and uninstalling the cdrom (the first couple of solutions given). still doesnt recognize my discs, but i will continue to try the other solutions given. i really thought reinstalling the drive would work. :)

Edited by Walker, 01 April 2010 - 07:55 PM.

Walker

Walker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
the microsoft fix it program didn't work either, it just kept on saying please insert a supported disc over and over. i tried multiple discs and restarted before i tried it yet again with no luck.

i don't think the cd drive is completely dead because it just suddenly stopped working during a period of a few days. it didnt show any signs of problems before it just stopped recognizing things.

Walker

Walker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
ok ran into something that seems odd, i'm trying the LAST solution given (ATA Channel stuff)

well there isnt just ATA Channel 0 and ATA Channel 1, there is actually two ATA Channel 0s, and then there is ATA Channel 1 and 2 (plus a couple other entries such as Intel® ICH8M Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 2850, and Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller)

does that sound normal? i do use virtual drives for mounting iso files sometimes, but i've never had a problem with it.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Uninstall the 0's and the 1's and reboot.

i don't think the cd drive is completely dead because it just suddenly stopped working during a period of a few days. it didnt show any signs of problems before it just stopped recognizing things.

That's typical how it happens though, one day it works, one day it doesn't. There aren't really any more options other than what I've listed. :)

Walker

Walker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
so what am i to do? can i replace it? looks like i could just unscrew the drive out of the tray and replace it with a new one, but i'm just guessing. thanks for your help in this matter, but man this really sucks. :)

Posted Image

or maybe it just got jammed or something? should i try punching it? :)

Edited by Walker, 01 April 2010 - 08:36 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Go HERE and click on 8512949 - Component Replacement Manual R0 It will give you info on how to the replace the drive.

Here are some combo drives from Newegg... http://www.newegg.co...amp;Order=PRICE

I'm not sure if you need IDE or SATA, you would have to take the drive out and look I presume.

should i try punching it?

It wouldn't be the first time it worked. :)

Edited by Ferrari, 01 April 2010 - 09:10 PM.