Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Directory Service Cannot Start

• Please log in to reply

thelaffster

thelaffster

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Have a Dell PowerEdge SC1403. It appears a single drive(of 4) in a RAID 5 array has failed. However, now the entire system will not boot into the OS due to an lsass.exe error which has details of "Security Accounts Manager initialization failed because of the following error: Directory Service Cannot Start.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts
Hi thelaffster
Sorry for the delay in getting to you.
This is a method we have used before for fixing this problem.
WE HAVE NOT TESTED IT ON A SERVER EDITION
Boot from the Windows XP installation CD...after the first several screens load, you will be given a choice to choose R for Recovery Console. You will then be asked to log in. Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press "Enter". When you are asked for the Administrator password, leave it blank and press "Enter".

When you get to the recovery console prompt:
  • Type cd \ and press "Enter".
  • Type cd system~1\_resto~1 and press "Enter".
  • Type dir and press "Enter".
After you press enter you will see a list of folders (like rp1, rp2) If the list of restore points has more than one page then press the "Enter" key until you reach the end of the list
  • Type cd rp {number of the second to last folder in the list} and press "Enter". (Example: Type cd rp9 if rp10 is the last restore point.)
  • Type cd snapshot and press "Enter".
  • Type copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system and press "Enter".
  • Type copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software and press "Enter".
  • Type exit and press "Enter".
Your PC will reboot.

If you get an access denied error when doing the above, then do the following at the recovery console:
  • Type cd \ and press "Enter".
  • Type cd windows\system32\config and press "Enter".
  • Type ren system system.bak and press "Enter".
  • Type exit and press "Enter".
Your PC will reboot, go back into the Recovery Console and start from the beginning.

Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 01 April 2010 - 03:42 PM.

thelaffster

thelaffster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'll give that a try...but I don't think that Microsoft Server 2003 has restore points.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts

I'll give that a try...but I don't think that Microsoft Server 2003 has restore points.

That is what I was thinking also. It has been a while since I played with server 2003.
Try this option.
Click on me
Cheers
Peterm

thelaffster

thelaffster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Been there...tried to do that! Problem is that the only option is to hit <OK> which is to reboot. I've tried in in-place repair but the system stops and is getting the same message in the middle of setup and...once again...forces me to reboot.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts
This is normal for a virus infection.
If it was my server I would build a UBCD4WIN with the lastest antivirus update and boot and scan.
The try a reg repair.
Or I would do a parallel install. Lass can be a pain to fix and since a repair is not working (neither does the recovery disk in my experenice of using them).
Sorry I don't have a better option.
Cheers
Peterm

thelaffster

thelaffster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ended up just installing parallel OS and pulling data...then rebuilding the machine as a whole. Not what I wanted...but it works.