Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

1 Laptop Crashes my Network

• Please log in to reply

madnessman

madnessman

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
My home network is set up properly and I happily have 2 Windows XP laptops and one 1 Windows 7 desktop connected to the internet. I bought a Lenovo Y450 (Vista) this summer but I haven't been able to use it because it causes my entire network to stutter. I'll have internet connectivity for around a minute before it drops for a couple of seconds before reconnecting. Keep in mind this happens to not just the Lenovo Y450 but to all the computers connected to the network. I'm pretty sure I've had guests stay at my house who used other Windows Vista laptops on my network without it crashing every minute.

My basic set up:
Connection from ISP goes through a Buffalo BBR4MG before it gets split up by a CentreCOM FS716TXL where the wires run directly to various LAN sockets around the house. This is pretty much the standard set up in all modern houses in Tokyo.

I'm going to try bringing the laptop to my school tomorrow to see if it works with their network. Hopefully I won't crash my entire school's network. Please help me diagnose and fix my problem.

EDIT: Added topic description.

Edited by madnessman, 31 March 2010 - 08:14 AM.

Advertisements

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932134

Also, upgrade the router firmware. I've seen similar behavior with Windows XP SP3, Vista, and Windows 7, as well as having the router reboot during a Remote Assistance session.

madnessman

madnessman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Everything but UPnP and Multiple Simultaneous Connections States is supported. So is my only fix to switch routers? Why doesn't my Vista laptop work but other guests' Vista laptops could work fine? It seems unlikely that the router NTT (biggest ISP in Japan) outfits almost all houses in Japan with is incompatible with Vista.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
I do not enable UPnP since it can be a security risk and my routers seem to work well enough. I have tried looking for issues with the BBR4MG and Vista this morning. So far I can only suggest you call or email NTT and see if they have a firmware upgrade available for the BBR4MG. I have already checked buffalotech.com and archives and found nothing, which does not surprise me as the firmware, if available, is probably custom.

You can disable IPv6, which could well fix the issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929852

Good luck and please post back with your results.

madnessman

madnessman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
My DisabledComponents is now set to 0xffffffff but the solution has not been solved yet. Any other ideas or potential fixes? I brought the laptop to school and I thankfully didn't crash the network there.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Are you using fixed ip address or dhcp.
If the laptop has a fixed ip it could be the same as another machine.
Go to the command prompt on all machines and type
ipconfig press enter.
Check the ip address on all machines (ipv4 on windows 7)
if any two machines have the same ip address we will have to change one of them.
Cheers
Peterm

madnessman

madnessman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Nope! My desktop is on a static ip but vista laptop is not and I've had this problem before I set up a static ip for my desktop too.

EDIT: Problem occurs whether I plug in a LAN cable or use WiFi.

Edited by madnessman, 01 April 2010 - 07:16 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
So the ip address for all machines are in the correct range ?
Lets look at your dhcp service.
On the Lenovo go to control panel > Admin tools > Services.
Check in the list and see if DHCP service is set to automatic and that it is started.
Even if you use static ip address you still need this service running.
Have you updated the network driver on the Lenovo?
When you did the ip config on the Vista machine did it show as using the IPv4 or IPv6 protocol.
Cheers
Peterm

madnessman

madnessman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

So the ip address for all machines are in the correct range ?
Lets look at your dhcp service.
On the Lenovo go to control panel > Admin tools > Services.
Check in the list and see if DHCP service is set to automatic and that it is started.
Even if you use static ip address you still need this service running.
Have you updated the network driver on the Lenovo?
When you did the ip config on the Vista machine did it show as using the IPv4 or IPv6 protocol.
Cheers
Peterm

Yes I'm fairly sure my IPs are all ok. DHCP is automatic and started, ipconfig shows IPv4, and network settings is set to automatically acquire IP and DNS settings. I'm baffled as to what causes this problem. I think I may have found another problem related to the laptop as well. When I first turn on my laptop and connect to the network, the entire network completely crashes and I have to manually reset my router. I'm not sure if this happens consistently though.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
What happens if you turn EVERY computer off and just plug in the laptop.
Cheers
Peterm

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
i don't know if this is your problem for definite but the new laptop could have the same MAC address as one of the other computers. Yes i know it is suppose to be an IMPOSSIBILITY but its not, i had this problem with a computer and my wireless box having the same mac address.

Try and find out each mac address of each machine and your networking devices and compare to see if any are the same

Josh

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
@madnessman

http://www.windowsne...ing-Issues.html

Disable "Sharing and Discovery" features, one at a time, as shown in Figure 9 of the link above. To make it quick and dirty, you can disable them all at once, and enable one at a time from there, if essential.

If the above fails, ring NTT and upgrade the router firmware or swap the router to another brand. I've seen this happen numerous times with Linksys, Belkin, and D-link routers and Windows, but never with a *nix or a *BSD.