Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop icons, "Choose the program you want to use to open this f

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Pierced

Pierced

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section, and sorry if Im scarce and dont give all of the information necessary for a fix! Im sure many people have had this problem, so Im also sorry if Im a repeat, feel free to redirect me to a previous topic =)..

Yesterday, my computer flipped out saying I was infected with all these deadly viruses, and to run the XP security stuff (that I first needed to register to be able to nuke all of the problems).. Of course I didnt use that, I ran SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition and got two trojans (dont remember the specifics) off of here.. When I rebooted, my desktop icons would not work.. When I double click on one, a popup comes up and asks what I want to use to open the file..

I tried looking up a fix for my problem and have found nothing that works for me.. I cant do a system restore, anything I click on in the Control Panel has a pop-up saying "C:/WINDOWS.system32.rundll32.exe Application cant be found".. Ive found people who said that a certain download worked, but I have tried a few of those and cant do it.. I think they download, I just cant get to them and no desktop icon shows.. When I click on something to download, my two options are Save or Cancel, never Run..

I have a Gateway laptop, use Firefox, and my operating system is Windows XP.. Im no computer guru, but if anymore information is needed, Ill do my best to figure it out!

Advertisements

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
Hello, Pierced! :) Welcome to GeekstoGo! I'm piano9playa5 and will be assisting you with your malware problems. If you have any questions, ask away! Just a few tips to make things go smoothly:
  • Please be patient. We are all volunteers here with lives that can keep us busy elsewhere.
  • Don't run tools you see being used in another topic. Running tools unsupervised can be dangerous.
  • Copy\Paste logs in your replies, rather than attaching them, unless I instruct you to do otherwise.
    This makes things easier for me.
  • Ensure "WordWrap" is disabled in Notepad.
    • Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > Notepad.
    • Click Format > Word Wrap (if checked, if not, leave it)
  • To everyone except Pierced: The instructions following were created specifically for Pierced, please do not perform these steps unless instructed by a Trusted Helper.

Okay, let's try and reset the proxies. It'll be easier to work on the computer once we get downloading out of the way. This SHOULD fix downloading but it may not. If not, we'll take a different approach.

Open Firefox
  • Go to Tools > Options...
  • Click Advanced at the top and select the Network tab
  • Click Settings...
  • Ensure No proxy is selected
  • Click Ok and Ok to save settings

Pierced

Pierced

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
"No Proxy" was already selected

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
Okay... We'll go with a different approach. We will need to try and get some programs to open. Hopefully this little trick will do it:

• Go to Start > Run...
  • Copy\Paste the following into the dialogue:

command.com

• Click Ok
  • Copy\Paste the following into the command window that opens:

START Notepad

• Hit ENTER (on keyboard)
  • Close the command window. (May have to type EXIT and hit ENTER)

Please Copy\Paste the following to Notepad:
(Starting with Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\.exe]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\exefile]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Classes\.exe]
@="exefile"
"Content Type"="application/x-msdownload"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Classes\exefile\shell\open\command]
@="\"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]
"ProxyEnable"=dword:00000000
"ProxyOverride"="*.local"
"ProxyServer"=-

• Go to File > Save As:
    • On the Save In: click on the drop-down menu and select Desktop
    • In File Name: type in RegFix.reg
    • In Save as Type: use the drop-down menu to change it to All Files
    • Click Save
  • Close Notepad
You should now have an icon like this on your desktop:
Posted Image
If not, then you have saved it wrong.
  • Right-Click on RegFix, and select Merge
  • A confirmation prompt will appear. Click Ok.

Edited by piano9playa5, 01 April 2010 - 08:06 AM.

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.