Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Full Build, or incremental upgrade?

• Please log in to reply

interpolarity

interpolarity

• PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
Well, it's been 4-5 years that we've had our Dell and it works fine, but it starting to break down... random BSODs, hardware malfunctions, random freezes, etc.

We don't have the money to buy a new computer with the specs we want for one that will last so I was thinking I could build my own and save money.

Then I thought that it might be better, and perhaps more cost effective to incrementally upgrade the system by adding ram, upgrading CPU and motherboard, getting a new graphics card, etc when we can afford each piece.

Which do you think is better? Save up for a full system to build or build it one piece at a time?
Also, any tips on getting good parts that are also for those on a budget?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A five year old machine isn't going to be part upgradable in any way, shape or form.
Plus it's a Dell machine, it'll be non-standard mainboard size so the case probably won't be usable, there's a chance that the power supply is unusable as they have been known to be unique to the boards...

Best save up and replace the entire unit.

interpolarity

interpolarity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
I was afraid of that...
Well, I can at least get the RAM as a starter and go on from there...
Anywhere I can get cheap ram? (other than NewEggor TigerDirect?)
and what's a good valued video card? I want a good one, but not an overpriced one...

Edited by interpolarity, 31 March 2010 - 02:52 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You can get RAM but you will almost certainly have to buy new RAM for the machine that you upgrade to. It's unlikely that it'll fit in the new machine. Same goes for the graphics.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Neil Jones hit the nail right on the head...
any system you buy from dell gateway and the like are just about at the max you can do with them the day you get it...in addition any part you have to replace in it will be left behind in the new system except a hard drive or possibly a cd/dvd burner
that is why its better to build your own system...besides getting 5 years warranty on the hard drive...3 years warranty on the mobo and cpu...lifetime on the ram...and on some video cards a lifetime warranty...
you also get some headroom for upgrading later down the road...
save your money until you can put together a completely new system

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Just to chime in and for conversational sake, a combo from Newegg LIKE THIS for $295 isn't too bad of a deal.

Add a cheap case like this Gigabyte Case - $18
OCZ 500 Watt PSU - $65 (80 Plus Certified)
Windows 7 OEM - $99 (Happyrock might have a "upgrade option" for you that might be better)
CD/DVD Combo Drive - $19

I believe that comes to just under $500 for a brand new computer and all quality brand name parts. You might be able to find something comparable or a bit cheaper looking at individual parts, but like I said... just for conversation so you can get a rough idea.

2.8ghz Dual Core Processor (upgradeable)
2GB of RAM (upgradeable)
750gb SATA II Hard Drive (case allows 4 more additional hard drives)
1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 220 (middle-grade) - (upgradeable PCI-E 2.0 slot on mobo)
DVD/CD Burner
Windows 7 - OEM, not allowed to upgrade motherboard.
Front USB and Audio
6 Rear USB Ports

interpolarity

interpolarity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
wow! That seems great! I guess I'm just shy since this is my first time and I want to make sure there are no hiccups, especially because it is difficult to return things from online stores...
Will all those parts work together?
Also, are there any tutorials on installing the OS after setting it up?

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Will all those parts work together?

Yes, everything is compatible.

Also, are there any tutorials on installing the OS after setting it up?

Yes. Clean Install Windows 7 It's not that complicated really. After the install, you would need to install the motherboard drivers and graphics card drivers which come on discs with the components. You can always get the latest drivers from the manufacturers website too. Then install an Antivirus (excellent free ones recommended HERE)and the rest will take care of itself.

I guess I'm just shy since this is my first time and I want to make sure there are no hiccups

You can do it. I've seen many first timers come here for their first build and succeed. Some with little knowledge whatsoever. My friends Artellos and Troy put together a nice tutorial... How to Build Your Own Computer. Google and Youtube provide AMAZING help too <---good advice.

because it is difficult to return things from online stores...

I've actually never returned anything to Newegg, but I've heard they make it pretty hassle free... excellent customer service as well.