Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help! windows did not start sucsessfully in any mode!

• Please log in to reply

Cw2k6

Cw2k6

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Help me please :) I've seen another topic like this, but the help seemed to involve a disk that didn't work like mine so here goes.

'we apologize for the inconvenience, but windows did not start sucessfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.'
I've got the options to start in safe mode, with networking, with command prompt, or last known good configuration, or normally - but they all send me back to the same screen.

I'm not really good with computers, so looking up the answer has been quite confusing, I've seen other people with this problem, but I couldn't figure it out.

The computer is an e-machines e4036 with windows xp media centre 2005. I've got an operating systems disc, but it says it will wipe everything if I use it, and I don't fancy that!

Anybody able to help?

Thanks in advance, Craig.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
The disc provided with an e-machine is NOT the same as the full XP installation disc and it will indeed
simply format the whole drive and reinstall Windows.
It is not the disk referred to on other threads on this forum that includes the Recovery Console.
I will come back to you shortly.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
A recent hardware or software change might have caused this. - from your post

Have you recently installed a program OR added any hardware.

It is I think a slim chance, but, whilst switched OFF unplug EVERYTHING, except the monitor, keyboard and mouse and try again.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 31 March 2010 - 03:45 PM.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
Just to be 100% clear, Are you getting a Blue Screen with a stop code?

but the help seemed to involve a disk that didn't work like mine so here goes.

If you are indeed referring to the Recovery Console as Macboatmaster said, then we can create a disk.

Regards,
Olrik

Cw2k6

Cw2k6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Cheers guys. I'm not getting any blue screen in any mode. Each just restarts the computer to the black screen.
As far as I know, def no new hardware was installed, and I think only a photo editing program was installed, but that was a few days before.
Out of interest if worse comes to worse could I just use the disc to fix it at the cost of wiping everything? Obviously I'd prefer not to do this, but i'd live :).

Again thanks for the help, it's much appreciated. Craig