Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop clicking after shut down

• Please log in to reply

RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I've got a Dell Inspiron 1440 that is now clicking after you shut it down. I do not recall it making that noise before. Everything seems to be working fine, no over heating, all programs running and working well, there's just that click noise when the machine is shut down. Does anybody have any ideas about this one as to what it could be or where I should look for problems/answers? I'm hoping it's nothing more than a fan or something simple like that, but I do know that it could be the hard drive giving out. Man that would suck since I just replace the LCD screen in it.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
In my experience at least, clicking sounds at any time are usually coming from the hard drive. I have an old laptop which does just that, only it clicks while Windows is running then the laptop shuts down without me telling it to. The only way I can get it to start Windows again is remove the drive and put it back - that's all, then it runs okay for another couple of hours after which it does the same again.

Strange thing is I've tested the drive with the drive maker's diagnostic software and it passes all the tests - go figure.

For your peace of mind I would test the drive as I have done. You'll need to find out who the drive maker is (Device Manager should give you a clue. For example, if the part number starts with 'ST' it will be a Seagate drive, and if it starts with 'WD' it will be made by Western Digital).

Go to that manufacturer's website, click on 'Support' or 'Downloads' and they will have a free diagnostic tool you can make a bootable CD with.

But whatever you do, make backups of all your documents, music, pictures etc. before you do anything else, as soon as possible in case the drive does finally bite the dust.