Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Is My Computer Seriously Dying?

• Please log in to reply

andrea22

andrea22

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Not sure if this is the right place for my question! But my poor old laptop may be showing signs of death: it's getting very very hot underneath and has slowed to a crawl. It is performing all functions as normal, but is insanely slow, e.g. taking 8 minutes to scroll down a (internet) page, 3 hours to edit 20 photos. It has only been like this the last couple of days since I played DVDs on it. I tried a DVD just now and it's gotten a lot worse since last night-now the audio just sounds like a CD getting stuck. So-is it time for a newie or could this be fixable? Thanks

Advertisements

Walker

Walker

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Malware advice removed

Edited by Kat, 01 April 2010 - 11:15 PM.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Walker - please don't provide that type of advice here. Only trained staff members are allowed to offer malware-related advice. If you're interested in going through our free training program, you can find more information here.

Andrea, it does sound as though you may possibly have an infected machine. Why don't you run through our malware cleaning guide and then make a post in the Malware Forum with the requested logs. One of our malware staff members will be happy to assist you.

If you still experience issues once you've been cleared of malware, you can return to this thread for more assistance. :)

Walker

Walker

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
sorry, i just saw this thread waiting for a reply and i figured it would be a nice gesture to show off the best rated malware removal programs available. i won't help out anyone else on this forum, i promise! i didn't realize that this forum was that strict. thanks for the great forum, keep it up staff.

Edited by Walker, 02 April 2010 - 12:39 AM.