Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! What should I uninstall to make my PC faster?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Genny615

Genny615

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My computer is running very slowly lately. I went to my programs list and saw something called "Seekmo" which I uninstalled since it seemed sketchy... But my computer is still sluggish. It is only 3 months new and I don't want issues already. I have attached a copy of my programs list from the control panel. Can anyone tell me if something in this list is causing my computer to slow down? Or even if any of it is just plain unnecessary?
Thanks for helping a "Newbie"
Genny

Attached Thumbnails

• programs.jpg

Edited by Genny615, 01 April 2010 - 09:15 PM.

Advertisements

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Genny615-

Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

You mentioned that you recently uninstalled a program called 'Seekmo'. According to Wiki Security:

Seekmo, presented by 180 Solutions, is an adware program that provides access to free content and tends to show a large number of unwanted pop-up advertisements. Seekmo can be named as search based advertising application with an ability to monitor your Internet browsing patterns and show contextual advertisements according those patterns.

It sounds like your computer lag problems might be malware-related.

I suggest posting a new thread in the Virus, Spyware and Trojan Removal Forums. First, be sure to check out the Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide. This will help you disinfect the majority of malicious software from your system.

EDIT: New information

Edited by FearNothingProductions, 01 April 2010 - 10:04 PM.

Buttons1

Buttons1

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
Hi Genny615,

I would drop adobe reader for foxit reader as adobe is bloat ware. Also if you do install foxit do not install the ask toolbar or ebay shortcuts. They are both malware. Now the ebay shortcut cannot be removed (in any normal way) as it has no uninstaller. So make sure you don't click crazy through the installation. Lastly, java needs an update, so make sure you get java 6 update 19. One last thing is to check www.secunia.com online venerability scanner.

Edited by Buttons1, 08 April 2010 - 09:53 AM.

xblindx

xblindx

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
I agree that the slowdown may be malware related. Also, how much RAM does your computer have? Have you defragemented it ever?

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
yes your problems are most likely malware related but also there are some more things you can do.

Firstly download TFC http://www.geekstogo...er-file187.html
Close everything and run this, it will clear up lots of temporary files which could cause slowness.

Next go to start / run and then type in msconfig and hit enter
click on the 'startup' tab. you will now see a list of all the programs that start up when your computer turns on
You can either turn them all off, or go through the list and select one's that you really don't want to run when you turn your computer on.
If you want some help on what to turn off and leave on, post a screen shot back here and I'll give you some recommendations.
** i would also recommend repeating this after having the malware forum check your computer for you.

Next run disk clean up and disk defragment.
another good defragmenter is this
http://www.auslogics...re/disk-defrag/

Hope this helps,
josh

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post an OTListIt log in THAT forum.

If you are still having issues with a slow PC -!!after!!- you finished your malware topic, have a look at this thread.

EDIT: If -anyone- thinks it's malware related. Send them to the malware forums. DO NOT try to help the people yourselves. Malware is the top priority to get rid of.

Edited by Artellos, 09 April 2010 - 06:49 AM.
Added extra info.

jjack0310

jjack0310

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
yeah like everyone else said, you may have malware, however I do see a lot fo junk on your computer that you dont really need.
I have an HP laptop also for almost 3 years and trust me when I say none of their softwares are of any use.

HP advisor, supposrt and all that is just stupid softwares that take up space and resources.
HP Customer.. HP Media, AT&T Toolbars, ZWalmart, and Amazon and softwares like tht take up little space but when they start running automatically, they take up resources.

SO uninstall the stuff that you dont use.

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Artellos, the problem does not just have to be malware related, malware could be a contributing factor, i was merely suggesting other ways to speed up your computer.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
If there is any malware, then that takes top priority. So am going to close this.

Genny, follow Artellos's instructions