Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cant connect after reformatting xp

• Please log in to reply

edenarts

edenarts

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi
wonder if someone can help me. I had a polymorphic virus and after we struggled with it my geekstogo helper advised a complete reformat.
i saved only my neccessary documents (and not my drivers) and reformatted.
however now i cant work out how to connect to the internet - i thought i would be able to just plug in and go...
my laptop wireless symbol doesn't appear but i guess thats because i haven't got the driver?
i have plugeed in the direct connection cable but nothing happens with that.
can someone help please?

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
It sounds like both network drivers (one for the wireless controller and one for the ethernet controller) are not installed.

We need to know the make & model of your laptop since the drivers are supplied by the laptop manufacturer.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 02 April 2010 - 03:13 AM.

edenarts

edenarts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi
its a Dell Vostro, the model number appears to be PP37L (its written on the underside casing)

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Go here and enter the laptop's service tag as that's the most reliable way of getting the correct drivers for your model (the service tag is on a label on the underside, with a barcode above it):
http://support.euro....dedPathHomePage

edenarts

edenarts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
thanks phillip
actually my service tag is a bit useless (smudged and eroded) one of th econsequences of being a laptop. but i took a guess on th emodel number and downloaded and the laptop helpfully told me that i had downloaded for th wrong model number and told me the correct one.

so i am now downloading the correct drivers...although i am not entirely sure what i have to do then!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
After you get the drivers downloaded you need to install them. Usually at the area you are downloading from, they will also give install instructions.

edenarts

edenarts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks, I have got it sorted now. thanks to geeks to go for all advice about my viral and reformatting needs!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible