Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Graphic card picture freezes

• Please log in to reply

andreas21

andreas21

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey, I bought some new parts for my computer:

MB: Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3, P55, Socket-1156
CPU: Intel Core™ i5 Quad Processor i5-750
Mem: Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz 4GB CL8
HD: Samsung SpinPoint T166 500GB SATA2
Power: Corsair 550W
Graphic Card: Asus ENGTS250/DI/512MD3

When i use the computer it tend to freeze to what seems randomly. Either in games (after like between 2 min or 3 hours) or while just browsing the Internet. When it freezes the mouse and keyboard loose power, though the music keeps playing (did atleast last time). I've tried some different drivers with no luck.

I borrowed a NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT. When using this I have absoloutly no problems. So im wondering if my 550W is to little for the GTS 250 or if the graphic card is a fault? That's at least the only to options I can see.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

So im wondering if my 550W is to little for the GTS 250 or if the graphic card is a fault?

I would suspect a bad graphics card. The Corsair 550 is fairly beefy, and the GTS 250 requires a 450-500 watt PSU, so that should be fine. Let's check some things and see if it shows us anything.

Install PC Wizard (lets check fans and temps):
  • Click PC Wizard in my signature
  • Click PC Wizard 2010.1.93 on the top left
  • Save the file to your Desktop
  • Double Click the setup file
  • Follow installation instructions
  • Once installed, open PC Wizard up
  • Click "Tools"
  • Select "Options"
  • On the "View" tab, tick "sensors in real time"
  • On the "Monitoring" tab, tick "force fan detection"
  • Click OK
  • Click the Posted Image icon
  • Click the refresh Posted Image icon
What do the temperatures say? What do the voltages say? Posting a screen shot is best, or post the information in your next reply.

Posted Image

Let's look at the Event Viewer:
  • Download VEW
  • Save it to your Desktop
  • Double-click VEW.exe
  • Under "Select log to query", select System
  • Under "Select type to list", select Critical(not in XP) and Error
  • Tick the box for "Number of events" and enter 5
  • Click the Run button.
  • Notepad will open with the output log.
  • Copy and paste that log into the next reply.
    ------------------------------------------
  • Repeat again
  • Click the box for "Date of events"
  • In the From: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) XX/XX/XXXX
  • In the To: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) XX/XX/XXXX
  • Click the Run button.
  • Notepad will open with the output log.
  • Copy and paste that log into your next reply.
Base speech by rshaffer61, thanks.

Also, when you say you've tried some different drivers with no luck. Did you go to Nvidia's website and download the latest driver? What about the second or third to last driver released?

andreas21

andreas21

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Sorry for late answer. I got my Windows 7 64 bit from school yesterday and gave it a shot to install it and see what happens. As expected the problem still persists. Did the thing with the PCwizard and added screenshot, but the Vino's Event Viewer doesnt seem to work as expected. It outputs only a blank Wordpad document in the two cases.

The drivers I've tested (for the 64 bit) is: 190.62, 191.07, 195.62, 197.13, 197.25 (beta), and the version from the cd, not sure which one that is. I downloaded them from the Nvidia homepage.

Attached Thumbnails

• PCwizsc.png

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your +12V is only showing 0.65V...
go here and download Everest Home Edition 1.51...launch it and click on the + beside computer...click on sensor...get a screenshot and post it for us...

Edited by happyrock, 04 April 2010 - 09:57 AM.

andreas21

andreas21

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I see, that might be a problem :/

Attached Thumbnails

• Everestscreenshot.png

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
lets see if speedfan will give us more info...get it here
run it and post a screenshot

andreas21

andreas21

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
SpeedFan test:

Attached Thumbnails

• SpeedFanScreenshot.png

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your power supply is most likely the problem...they need to be within 10% of the voltage called for and your +12V is way off

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hmmm, yes the +12v is really really low. He says he doesn't have problems with the 8600gt, I'm wondering... do you have the GTS plugged into the power supply? It goes in the 6pin plug shown HERE. That might be causing problems.

If you have it plugged in, then I would contact your retailer or Corsair to replace your new PSU. Corsair Power Supplies are generally very good, just bad luck I presume.

andreas21

andreas21

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yeah, I do have the power cable plugged into the graphics card, but it obviously doesnt receive power. Im getting to borrow another power cable from a friend, ill post the results here when I've tested it.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Im getting to borrow another power cable from a friend, ill post the results here when I've tested it.

I don't think that will help. The problem lies in the entire PSU. The +12v is part of the PSU and it powers many things besides the graphics card. I think you need to replace the PSU then.