Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dwm.exe - application error (0xc0000006)

• Please log in to reply

jarry23

jarry23

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello everyone,

I am new here and desperately need some help. I have a Dell Inspiron laptop and running on Windows Vista. A few weeks ago I was in the process of updating the service pack on the laptop when my son ran by and pulled the plug out (my battery is shot so only able to use it by plugging it up) while it was updating. Ever since then, the laptop will take me to the login screen, where I would select my name and I get the following error, "dwm.exe - Application Error. The application failed to initialize propery (0xc0000006). click OK to terminate the application." When I click OK, it acts like its taking me to the home screen but its only a black screen. I am unable to get to the start up menu or anything else. I am however, able to ctrl, alt, delete and it takes me to the task manager. I really need some help. I am trying to hard not to restore my laptop to factory because I have so many pictures and other important documents saved. Please help!!!

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi jarry23 ... :) ..:)
did you create a recovery cd for the laptop when you got it...
if so...
boot from the cd and click on startup repair

Edited by happyrock, 02 April 2010 - 07:45 AM.

jarry23

jarry23

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I do not recall if I did. I have had this computer for over 3 years. Is there another way I can get this running back up?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and download a vista recovery dvd...It is a 120 MB download, and in the standard ISO format...

get either Windows Vista 32-Bit or Windows Vista 64-Bit (x64) if you have a 64 bit OS

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start by clicking on BurnCDCC.exe
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its Vista 32-Bit (x86).iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....

boot from the Vista 32-Bit (x86).iso cd....
click on startup repair