Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Turn me on, Remotely

• Please log in to reply

gunn1

gunn1

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Looking to GTG for a answer that I can not seem to answer on my own.

I have a Acer aspire 5532 laptop. Is there any way to remotely start up the computer through a remote key board? or remote command?

The Laptop has the switch under the "lid", so it has to be opened, started, then closed. Through changes to the control panel I have been able to set it up so the lid can be shut without shutting down the computer or the remote monitor.

This allows me to work using the external keyboard and monitor, Which I then can turn off by cursing over to the shut down icon on the remote monitor and turn everything off, Again remotely.

Short of installing a switch on the outside case of the laptop(so it would not have to be opened to start it)is there any other way a remote start up can be accomplished??

If it can I am sure GTG will have the answer,
So THANKS in advance.

Gunn

Advertisements

Lister192065

Lister192065

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
You can use LogMeInPro (Trial: 15 days) as part of which there is Remote Start which utilises "Wake On Lan" feature that is included in certain BIOS

There is also the following:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q...ly turn on a pc

https://secure.logme.../products/free/

http://www.raymond.c...rom-lan-and-wan

Edited by Lister192065, 02 April 2010 - 07:12 PM.

gunn1

gunn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Thanks Lister,

I haven't had a chance to check all of the sites that you provided. Some seem to have more to do with "waking up" a sleeping computer through a LAN using another computer, or with a keyboard stroke/mouse movement.

My senario involves one computer(a laptop)Which I would like to start up with other than the ON button under the lid of the Lappy.

Letting it sleep continously, just to wake it up remotely is something I have been advised against. It has something to do with re-booting the system(turning completely ON and OFF)is good for it. Is this true???

Me having to open the lid to turn the Lap top on is not a major deal, I just thought it would be cool if it was feasible without a lot of trouble.

I did stop by the Geek Squad tonight just to ask their thoughts on this subject, their reply was "We have never been asked that question before". Wouldn't be crazy cool if someone could figure a way to do this??

Well thanks again Lister, If you or anyone else has an idea(s) on how to make it happen please advise.

Happy Easter/Passover,

Gunnar

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
As a random thought, some computers (mostly desktops unfortunately for you) have the BIOS option to power on once power is received after power loss... Actually probably not highly relevant but just a thought.

gunn1

gunn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
The Laptop does "notice" when the power is pulled from the adapter/charger, this is shown by the power managment icon.

And 99% of the time the laptop is on it is plugged in to AC, even in the truck.

So I wonder if this BIOS thing would work in my senario due to the fact power would be applied(from the inverter)when in use and would then be switched off when when computing was done.(Inverter is only switched on while computer is in use)

I do realize the laptop would still have to be shut down formally, but how does BIOS affect start up??

It was almost a given, that I was going to give up on this remote start up issue but now, maybe, well, humm.

Thanks,
Gunnar

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
First of all you'll need to check if you have the option in your BIOS, what the computer does after power loss - mine has three options, stay off (default), turn on, and last state (remembers if it was off or on).

gunn1

gunn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Just received a E-mail back from the G-squad.
This is what it says;

Thank you for contacting the Geek squad.
To my knowledge there is a switch on keyboard program. It allows you to start up the computer with your keyboard. I recommend you take the computer to your local Best Buy store to see if your mother board supports that program. Agents are standing by.

Please let us know if we can be of future assistance. Thank you for choosing Geek Squad

Any Thoughts?? Could this be possible?? What do you think??

Thanks,
Gunnar

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
"Agents are standing by"

For some reason this gives me shivers down my spine. :)

Yes there should be some sort of wake on keyboard program around, I've never had any experience with any though.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
don't go to geek squad....i'll find you and punch you if you go to geek squad

the bios setting is a good thought, but probably not applicable for a laptop, for that setting to really work on a laptop the battery would have to go dead.

you could just let the PC go to standby or hibernate (i don't like hibernation) but i wouldn't suggest it for your usage. A: the laptop is in your truck, it gets warm in a truck and you could run into thermal issues, B: it's in your truck, using your truck's battery. really fun to come back and find that your computer is working fine but your truck won't start.

i think the quickest solution is going to be a remote switch. but i'm thinking of something that's not permanent (i.e. not having a toggle or push button hanging off the laptop when you're not using it in the truck). i'll try to draw this up but, all you REALLY need is a momentary push button switch. what i would do is solder in two wires to the current power switch, then route those wires out through the gap between the monitor and the laptop (assuming the power button is on top). now on the ends of those wires you could do one of two things. solder on a simple strip of metal to each, then glue those pieces of metal to the bottom side of the laptop, or crimp on some electrical connectors (the type that you can slip together). now on the rack that you made to hold the laptop, either, make two matching metal pads that have wires soldered on that run to a momentary switch mounted in the dash, or have those wires crimped with the matching connectors on the ends.

with the simple "contact pad" method you can just pick up the laptop and take it with you then put it back when you get back to the truck. the other way you'd have plug/unplug the connectors each time you take the laptop out, but that's not that big of a deal.

as long as it's connected pressing the momentary switch would power the computer on

gunn1

gunn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Hey, Hey, a little bit of GTG and ultimate fighting!! sounds like a bully beat down!!

All that a side, I do understand the concept you laid out desenette, but was trying to find a factory way versus invasive surgery.

Your intro keeps reminding me of the Trunk Monkey "Road Rage" clip.

WHAT, YOU WANT A PEACE OF ME!!!

Thanks again for the great ideas,
Gunnar

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
there are ways to do it...but most of the ones i know of (using a serial port, or some other witchcraft) require a second computer, and you'd end up wanting to find a way to turn that computer on from the front seat, then you'd end up with nowhere to sit in the truck because it was full of computers used to turn on computers

gunn1

gunn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Then I could let the computers do all of the work, and I could stay at home with my other computers!!!

Speaking about heat, did you happen to "see" the cooling tray set up(total recall thread) it works great! Not only that but it provides those extra USB ports with a on and off switch!!

Thanks,
Gunnar

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
....your cooling tray gave me an idea....what's the make/model of the laptop again? perhaps a docking station would solve the power button option (though research would have to be done to be sure)...some docking stations have the ability to have an auxiliary power switch...then you could just solder in a remote switch to that switch instead of mucking with the laptop switch

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Or just push the power button on the docking station instead... I have a client with a Toshiba Tecra laptop and the docking station has this. When he is in his office the laptop is on and closed all the time - he uses external monitors and keyboard/mouse.

gunn1

gunn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Gentleman,

I have a Acer Aspire 5532, AMD Athion 64 processor, TF-20(1.6 Ghz), ATI Radeon HD3200 Graphics, up to 140MB HyperMemory, 15.6 HD LCD, 3GB memory, 160 GB HDD, Acer Nplify 802.11 big/Draft-N.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Gunnar