Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

explorer.exe does not startup

• Please log in to reply

lar9149

lar9149

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum, but I was wondering if I can get help with my computer problem. When I start my computer, the background screen comes up, but none of my shortcuts exist and the screen is completely empty besides the background. I tried control+alt+del and noticed explorer.exe does not startup. I went to new task and have it run explorer.exe and now I can see it startup, but than it goes away after a second or two. Things I already have tired to fix the problem include:

starting in safe mode and system restore (computer was unable to restore)
copy explorer.exe from another computer with same system
reinstalling windows xp
scan with antivirus

Unfortunately, none of the above worked. My operating system is windows xp. Thanks for any help and suggestions you may have.

Edited by lar9149, 02 April 2010 - 11:06 AM.

Advertisements

kishorhackz

kishorhackz

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Oh..! Is it?

So you get no Taskbar and all the stuffs??

You gotta Do This to get it ok..!
Follow the steps
1.from taskmanager start explorer.exe
2.go to windows folder and find explorer.exe
3.make a shortcut and paste it in the startup folder..!

Done..! It will work like a charm

Also Go to Run Then type Msconfig and go to startup tab to check whether it is listed there..!

Donno what the issue is.. but this will do it..!

lar9149

lar9149

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
removed log

Edited by Rorschach112, 05 April 2010 - 04:35 AM.

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
lar9149-

Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

If you think your system has been infected with malware, I suggest posting a new thread in the Virus, Spyware and Trojan Removal Forums. First, be sure to check out the Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide. This will help you disinfect the majority of malicious software from your system.

Members who have not been trained in malware removal can not help you with diagnosing logs; that kind of work is left to staff members in the Malware Removal forum.

lar9149

lar9149

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
You are correct, went to the antivirus forum and did the instructions listed...problem solved :) thanks for the help

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi lar9149

Glad that you got it fixed.

HiJack logs do not belong in this forum, but since you did there are are few things I noticed.

You have Registry Mechanic. Uninstall it because if you use it incorrectly it will create more damage than good. A registry cleaner does no good.
A registry cleaner will not increase your system's speed or performance, and has the potential to break your registry to the point that your PC is no longer bootable. We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there. Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.

Thanks to Sari for the explanation

You have Avast, AVG, and McAfee installed. Avast I can tell is a virus scanner and it looks like Mcafee is a virus scanner. I am not sure about AVG you have installed.
The main thing is that if they are multiple virus scanners they will conflict and you will get false positives or possible not pick up a virus.

I would also be careful with Spyhunter 3 because it "Removes Spyware Registry Keys". Anything that plays in the registry automatically is a dangerous program.

123runner

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Thanks, 123Runner.

I didn't want to cross the line and offer "malware advice" outside of the virus forum, which is why I didn't address those issues. I'm assuming after your answer that non-techs or students can (if it's outside the removal forum)?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Just have to be careful. I didn't consider it actual malware advice. Its a known fact (by most of us) that multiple scanners will create a problem.
I didn't tell the op how to clear malware and what programs to run.

As for the registry cleaners, some will argue that they create no issues and have run them successfully. While that may be true to some, it is not the case all the time. We at Geeks to Go do not recommend registry cleaners because of the harm they can do.

Had the OP not posted the log I would not have seen the multiple scanners and registry cleaner. The OP's multiple scanners (if they are background scanners) could have allowed the virus. There will be no way to confirm that though.

There are other items in there that should be taken care of. That we can not help with here. (at least not us)

lar9149 I would still post a topic in the malware forum and let them take a look to see if there is anything deeply embedded in the system.
After all virus and malware are hiding deeper in the systems now.

123runner

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Thanks a lot :) I'll keep that in mind.

And I just saw you're from Webster. I was born in Buffalo, not too far from Rochester. :) Small world.

lar9149

lar9149

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
actually I installed all the antivirus software after the problem to see if there were any virus problems, but uninstalled them now except one per your advice.