Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Free Download Manager?

• Please log in to reply

iddawg

iddawg

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I am running a dial up connection; due to I am in a very rural area and its the only connection that is available to me. I am looking for a free download manager that will work with a dial up connection to help speed up my downloads. Any ideas?

Edited by iddawg, 02 April 2010 - 01:39 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A dial-up connection is realistically not capable of being sped up. No download manager will help you. The only real use for one in this scenario would be to split large downloads over multiple connection sessions but they won't speed up the actual download of the file.

iddawg

iddawg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I know that; but usually a download manager will have an accelerator in the software. With the accelerator it would not take as long to download the software as without it.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

I know that; but usually a download manager will have an accelerator in the software. With the accelerator it would not take as long to download the software as without it.

There is no such thing as an accelerator in download management software. Files only come down as fast as the server they're on can send them.
All these accelerators do typically is open multiple connections to servers then randomly switch between them. Of course there is the benefit of being able to pause a download, but that's all. Even on broadband they do not speed up download speeds of individual files, in fact quite often taking just as long without a manager as they would with one.

As I say the only benefit to you on dial-up is the ability to pause downloads across multiple connections. That's all they'll do for you.

Edited by Neil Jones, 03 April 2010 - 04:00 AM.