Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which laptop should I buy?

• Please log in to reply

monkaymagic

monkaymagic

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,
I am looking at 2 laptops - hoping you can advise me what is best?

Here they are:

---------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T6500.
2.10GHz processor speed.
2MB cache.
4GB DDR2 RAM.
18.4in screen size.
Resolution 1680 x 945 pixels.
16:9 Widescreen.
320GB hard drive.
Multi format dual layer DVD RW optical drive.
nVidia GeForce 9600M GS DirectX 10 with Hybrid SLI featuring HybridPower technology and HDMI digital audio/video output.
VRAM 512MB GDDR2graphics memory.
Media card reader - compatible with SD, MMC, MS, MS PRO.
3 x USB ports.
1 Gbit Ethernet LAN 10/100/1000 Mbit/s.
High definition audio with 2 integrated loudspeaker and 1 subwoofer Dolby Home Theatre certified.
1.3Mp webcam with microphone.
Wireless LAN 802.11b/g / draft-
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 32 Bit with new Media Centre user interface, including Service Pack 1 installed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

or

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Intel Pentium dual core T4200 processor.
2.00GHz processor speed.
4GB DDR2 RAM.
16in screen size.
Resolution 1366 x 768 pixels.
320GB SATA hard drive.
Multi format dual layer DVD RW optical drive.
NVIDIA GeForce G105M graphics.
256MB graphics memory.
Multi card reader.
4 USB ports.
e-SATA port.
HDMI.
1.3MP webcam.
802.11 b/g/n wireless enabled.
Windows 7 Premium operating system installed.

I am a relative newbie - which one would you choose? The first laptop listed is around $121 (£80) more than the 2nd one.

Is the extra money worth the bigger screen, better processor, better graphics card etc,.

Also I use windows XP now and the higher specced laptop comes with vista while the lower specced laptop comes with Windows 7.

Want to use the laptop for a bit of everything - gaming, movies etc - what would be your choice?

Edited by monkaymagic, 02 April 2010 - 04:14 PM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

My initial thoughts are these:

1) If you want to use the laptop for gaming & DVDs, amongst other things, then the extra money for the larger screen & better graphics is probably worth it. Bear in mind that these 2 things are not upgradable on a laptop so you're stuck with them.

2) That said however, the higher spec laptop is running Vista, which to me is enough to advise anyone NOT to buy it!

One thing you haven't mentioned yet are the manufacturers of these 2 machines, it might help to know what they are. Also, what's your budget?