Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Lifecam installation problem

• Please log in to reply

andygo

andygo

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi
First post here...hope someone can help.
I'm having a problem getting a Microsoft Lifecam to work on our computer (Windows XP).

It's the first time I've used it, I installed it this afternoon using the latest driver from the MSoft website (it came with a disc but i thought it better to use the latest version from microsoft)

It seemed to install ok...though when my computer tried to restart after the driver install it just timed out. I had to switch it off and restart it again.

There's an icon for the webcam on the desktop but when i try to open it i get the following error message.

AppName: lifecam.exe AppVer: 3.21.263.0 ModName: kernel32.dll ModVer: 5.1.2600.5512 Offset: 00012aeb

Should I uninstall and reinstall the webcam driver (using the disc?) or is there another way of fixing the problem.

Just to complicate matters slightly I had to install XP Service Pack 3 before installing the driver....we only had service pack 1 installed. That seems to have installed ok though....but is that casuing a problem.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice. My kid's grandmother in Ohio would also be very grateful to anyone who can get the webcam working!

Andy

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
My guess is that you have installed the wrong driver, or the driver was the correct one, but an anti-virus prevented it installing correctly.
I would do the following.
1. Click Start, Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager and go to the Camera, on the Imaging Devices.
Double left click on the Camera under Imaging Devices.
Click the Driver Tab and Uninstall the driver.
INSTALL using the CD, following the instructions (I cannot remember if you plug the camera in fist OR
after you have run the program, but the CD tells you.)
This is the BEST way, as with the Microsoft Camera, AFTER installing and commissioning the camera, the Software, when you open the Camera with the desktop icon, automatically allows you to check for updates.
Remember to commission Skype if you use it or any other software that uses a camera to see the Microsoft webcam as the sound recording device or the video/camera device as that aspect is NOT automatic.
Any problems please come back
PS One of the common mistakes when installing software is to fail to notice that there is XP and XP 64bit.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 02 April 2010 - 05:56 PM.

andygo

andygo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Macboatmaster
thanks for response and advice. Unfornuately i still have the same problem.
I unistalled, unplugged camera, restarted computer and installed again using the disc.
It installed fine (it tells you to plug in camera about halfway through) and the icon appeared.
But it still won't open and i get the same error message

AppName: lifecam.exe AppVer: 3.21.263.0 ModName: kernel32.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.5512 Offset: 00012aeb

any other ideas gratefully received...
Andy

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Try this link pls see if anything helps.
If you have ONLY just installed Service Pack 3, leave the camera connected and go back to Windows Update. Download and install the updates that will now be there, about 10 of them probably.

http://support.micro....com/gp/lifecam

Please come back when you have installed those. What pls is the anti-virus on the computer.

andygo

andygo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi
thanks again for the reply.
am a bit confused though....
are you saying i should look for updates for SP3 or for the webcam driver? or both?
the link you put on is a list of solutions for lifecam faults - thanks for that....i'll start working through some of those...though i can only see one that applies to me.
The one that says troubleshoot bad or no video or problems starting Lifecam software.....i'm working through that fix now - though it wants me to reinstall driver again via website.

The anti virus i use is Avira.
though for some reason it turned itself off today. I thought i might have a virus but have done a few scans (with malware bytes and ad-aware se) and couldn't find anything.
The webcam keeps trying to open when i first start the computer - which is a right pain as it slows everything to a crawl until the error message appears. It's doing my head in to be honest

andy

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Try Windows Updates again, as my experience is that as soon as SP3 is installed there are about ten updates that follow it. A large number of people have had problems following SP3 installation until they have acquired the others. Did you do SP3 as a stand alone update, ie: you downloaded that separately from Microsoft, or did you accept it as part of the Automatic Updates.
If the former, then YES you certainly do now need to check on Automatic Updates.

Type in RUN (Start and then select RUN) "msconfig" without the colons of course.
The select the Start Up tab and if the camera is shown as a StartUp - disable it.

andygo

andygo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Cheers, I did download SP3 as a one-off....but at the same time turned on Msoft automatic updates. I don't know if any updates have come through since (i only downloaded it on friday) but will have a check.
Thanks for the tip about the start up tab....I've disabled the camera (thank goodness).
I'll keep you posted.
Thanks again for your help. hope the sun's shining on Anglesey today...it's sunny down here for the first time in ages...

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am correct, am I that this is the Microsoft 3000 webcam. Pls clarify.