Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sofware Rendering Mode?

• Please log in to reply

jay012992

jay012992

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
When I try to play solitaire or any other game in the default games windows vista has, I get this message. "The game is running in software rendering mode. Hardware acceleration is either disabled or not supported by your video card driver, which could slow game performance. Make sure you have the latest video card driver installed and that hardware acceleration is turned on." I checked and my drivers are updated and hardware acceleration is turned and enabled. I checked in the Display Manager and under Display adapters and it's a Standard VGA Graphics Adapter. Is there something else I must enable or change? Motherboard model is a Micro-star international K9MM-V.

Edited by jay012992, 02 April 2010 - 05:02 PM.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

I checked in the Display Manager and under Display adapters and it's a Standard VGA Graphics Adapter

It sounds like you have not installed the graphics drivers for your motherboard's on-board graphics solution. These can be found on the utilities disk that came with your motherboard. Or, you can download the latest from the motherboard's website, here.

jay012992

jay012992

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

I checked in the Display Manager and under Display adapters and it's a Standard VGA Graphics Adapter

It sounds like you have not installed the graphics drivers for your motherboard's on-board graphics solution. These can be found on the utilities disk that came with your motherboard. Or, you can download the latest from the motherboard's website, here.

Is there another option? I just did that and it says I'm updated...
Edit: Also I just typed in dxdiag in the command prompt, I pushed yes to the pop up, and in the directX Diagnostic Tool under the Display tab all 3 of the DirectX Features are Not Available. I also tried installing/reinstalling directx 11 and that did nothing.

Edited by jay012992, 02 April 2010 - 07:16 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Sorry. When you listed your motherboard in you opening post, I assumed you had on-board graphics. Now, after double checking, I see you do not. Therefore, you have a graphics card. You need to determine which card it is, and then go out to the card maker's site and download the latest drivers for your operating system. You may have to open the case and physically inspect the card.

Edited by Digerati, 02 April 2010 - 08:00 PM.

jay012992

jay012992

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Sorry. When you listed your motherboard in you opening post, I assumed you had on-board graphics. Now, after double checking, I see you do not. Therefore, you have a graphics card. You need to determine which card it is, and then go out to the card maker's site and download the latest drivers for your operating system. You may have to open the case and physically inspect the card.

Where would the card be located? In one of the PCI slots? Because I don't see anything in either PCI slot except the USB's. In Display in Device Mang. I just have a Standard VGA Graphics Adapter.. Which I believe is on-board graphics but I am not sure.

Edited by jay012992, 02 April 2010 - 08:55 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Where do you plug in the monitor? In the rear panel I/O area (the retangular area of connectors where you also connect the mouse and keyboard)? If so, then you have on-board, but if that is the case, then the motherboard model you gave us appears to be incorrect because the MSI K9MM-V Specs Page does not indicate any on-board graphics. It only says it supports an AGP card, which would be located in the same slot areas as the PCI slots.

I just have a Standard VGA Graphics Adapter.. Which I believe is on-board graphics but I am not sure.

Standard VGA is the default driver used by Windows for ALL graphics adapters so Windows can display something during install (and often Safe Mode) before the proper drivers are installed. So even cards will show up as Standard VGA until their drivers are installed telling Windows how to use the advanced features of the card (or on-board).

jay012992

jay012992

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Where do you plug in the monitor? In the rear panel I/O area (the retangular area of connectors where you also connect the mouse and keyboard)? If so, then you have on-board, but if that is the case, then the motherboard model you gave us appears to be incorrect because the MSI K9MM-V Specs Page does not indicate any on-board graphics. It only says it supports an AGP card, which would be located in the same slot areas as the PCI slots.

I just have a Standard VGA Graphics Adapter.. Which I believe is on-board graphics but I am not sure.

Standard VGA is the default driver used by Windows for ALL graphics adapters so Windows can display something during install (and often Safe Mode) before the proper drivers are installed. So even cards will show up as Standard VGA until their drivers are installed telling Windows how to use the advanced features of the card (or on-board).

Yes the monitor plugs into the rear panel I/O area, same area that has the keyboard and mouse. This is what title of my user manual for the motherboard is. K9MM-V VIA K8M800+VT8237R Plus Chipset Based. Designed for AMD FX/X2 Processors. Inside under the specs it does say that there is a VGA on the back panel connectors.

Edited by jay012992, 03 April 2010 - 11:11 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well, I must have been blind this morning because in the link I provided, it does indeed say 1 VGA port on the back - so therefore, it must have on-board. Sorry for the confusion.

From this download page, scroll down to the VIA K8M800 VGA Drivers section and download the version for your OS. Inside the zip file are installation instructions.

jay012992

jay012992

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Well, I must have been blind this morning because in the link I provided, it does indeed say 1 VGA port on the back - so therefore, it must have on-board. Sorry for the confusion.

From this download page, scroll down to the VIA K8M800 VGA Drivers section and download the version for your OS. Inside the zip file are installation instructions.

I have windows vista installed, I don't see vista in there...

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Hmmmm, not very nice of them. Well, no promises, but the readme.htm file in the 4in1 drivers zip file from the same download page says it includes graphics drivers.

Advertisements

jay012992

jay012992

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Hmmmm, not very nice of them. Well, no promises, but the readme.htm file in the 4in1 drivers zip file from the same download page says it includes graphics drivers.

Is it the VIA Chipset 4in1 Drivers?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Yes. If you download the zip file and open it, the readme file will say what it does so you can decide for sure before installing.

This would be my guess as to the problem. If this does not update the drivers your computer uses then I don't know what the problem is and would suspect the hardware, the on-board graphic. Fortunately, adding a card is fairly easy, and since a card has its own memory, previously snagged system RAM is released back to the OS and CPU,giving you a little RAM boost in the process.

Did this ever work?

jay012992

jay012992

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Yes. If you download the zip file and open it, the readme file will say what it does so you can decide for sure before installing.

This would be my guess as to the problem. If this does not update the drivers your computer uses then I don't know what the problem is and would suspect the hardware, the on-board graphic. Fortunately, adding a card is fairly easy, and since a card has its own memory, previously snagged system RAM is released back to the OS and CPU,giving you a little RAM boost in the process.

Did this ever work?

I don't know if it worked or not. I ran the setup before reading the readme file. And then I tried running a solitaire game again and the same thing game up. I have a AGP card that I put in it and all I got is a black screen when I plugged my monitor into it. Would the microsoft updates have something to do with it? I got the computer from my uncle and he freshy installed the OS, he said when he had it, spider solitaire worked just fine.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Did you install the drivers for that AGP card? Does your uncle have the utilities disk that came with the motherboard?

jay012992

jay012992

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Did you install the drivers for that AGP card? Does your uncle have the utilities disk that came with the motherboard?

He didn't give me any drivers for the AGP card. He gave me the user guide book that came with the motherboard but he said he has to find the utilities disk that came with it. Isn't the drivers online the same thing that is on the disk?