Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sofware Rendering Mode?

• Please log in to reply

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Isn't the drivers online the same thing that is on the disk?

They should be more current. But you need to determine the brand and model number of the card first.

Advertisements

jay012992

jay012992

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Isn't the drivers online the same thing that is on the disk?

They should be more current. But you need to determine the brand and model number of the card first.

I meant for the motherboard. My uncle told me he had a 80gig hard drive in there before, and he said that the games worked great. Then he upgraded to a 250gig and he never thought about trying the games before giving it to me. So it kind of sounds like a driver issue I would think... But I wonder why it wouldn't work after downloading the drivers...
Also where the games are, the rating is 1.0, I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.

Edited by jay012992, 04 April 2010 - 10:09 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

I meant for the motherboard.

Still, the most current versions will be on the maker's site. The disk version should work too, but are most likely outdated. Drivers are updated for many reasons, often none to do with your system. Sometimes, the update process fails and creates bigger problems. Therefore, I don't normally recommend updating just because new driver updates are out there (same with BIOS updates). But some updates fix stability and performance issues, or address security issues. My thoughts are if you must install drivers anyway, use the latest and greatest.

As far as how this happened I don't know. It all depends on how he updated to the new drive. If he used a migration/backup program to move everything from the old drive to the new, then all the programs, Windows settings, installed updates, and drivers should be there and enabled. If he swapped in the drive, and did a fresh install of Windows, and did nothing more then ensure everything worked with the install defaults, then you need to install the specific drivers for your hardware.

With on-board graphics, these are normally found on the motherboard's utility disk, and the board maker's site. Card drivers are on the disk that came with the card, and on the card maker's site. I don't normally recommend getting generic drivers from the GPU maker (NVidia or AMD/ATI) but the card makers as they would be tweaked for the card.

So it kind of sounds like a driver issue I would think... But I wonder why it wouldn't work after downloading the drivers...

It does sound like that. Ummm, just to be sure, you installed the drivers too, right? And not just downloaded them?

Also where the games are, the rating is 1.0

I don't know what that means. What is assigning the rating?

jay012992

jay012992

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

I meant for the motherboard.

Still, the most current versions will be on the maker's site. The disk version should work too, but are most likely outdated. Drivers are updated for many reasons, often none to do with your system. Sometimes, the update process fails and creates bigger problems. Therefore, I don't normally recommend updating just because new driver updates are out there (same with BIOS updates). But some updates fix stability and performance issues, or address security issues. My thoughts are if you must install drivers anyway, use the latest and greatest.

As far as how this happened I don't know. It all depends on how he updated to the new drive. If he used a migration/backup program to move everything from the old drive to the new, then all the programs, Windows settings, installed updates, and drivers should be there and enabled. If he swapped in the drive, and did a fresh install of Windows, and did nothing more then ensure everything worked with the install defaults, then you need to install the specific drivers for your hardware.

With on-board graphics, these are normally found on the motherboard's utility disk, and the board maker's site. Card drivers are on the disk that came with the card, and on the card maker's site. I don't normally recommend getting generic drivers from the GPU maker (NVidia or AMD/ATI) but the card makers as they would be tweaked for the card.

So it kind of sounds like a driver issue I would think... But I wonder why it wouldn't work after downloading the drivers...

It does sound like that. Ummm, just to be sure, you installed the drivers too, right? And not just downloaded them?

Also where the games are, the rating is 1.0

I don't know what that means. What is assigning the rating?

I'm pretty sure I installed the drivers.. I can try it again thought just to double check. And yeah when you go into the folder with the games on the right side there is a rating, like it says the 1.0 is the rating for the games and everything to work but it recommends 2.0 or something, I don't know too much about that. Also I was searching around Google and found this website http://www.geeks.com...9...-DT&cat=MBB and if that is the right kind of board I have, it states that VIA UniChrome Pro K8M800 shared video memory (UMA) is that Graphics Controller. If so, would I need to download the drivers for that?

Also I found this http://drivers.softp...22-00-01j.shtml

Edited by jay012992, 04 April 2010 - 11:37 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
As I noted above, I prefer to get the drivers from the board maker - those you link to appear right, however.

jay012992

jay012992

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
I was trying to find one just like the one on the website of the maker, but accepts vista instead of just xp and down.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Don't know what more to offer. Hopefully someone else reading might have more suggestions.