Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop has slowed up and frequent crashing "windows explorer"

• Please log in to reply

kev123

kev123

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi,

I have had my work laptop for some while now, however the problems have seemed to get more frequent and instead of getting it re=imaged and having to reinstall and restore all my work it would be best if I could solve this issue with some help please.

I can use my laptop however frequently locks up, with the infamous Vista blue circle of doom, I have to click the task bar at the bottom where the clock, battery indicators etc. are located and then a message appears "windows explorer has crashed", if I press restart the prog or close it then my laptop starts working again until the next crash... and then do the same thing again. Its really slowed up the laptop and wondering if someone could help me with a solution. Could it be Malware? Or my works image they have loaded? Could it be some errors in the registry?

Hope that makes sense..

Any help would be great :)

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Could it be Malware? Or my works image they have loaded? Could it be some errors in the registry?

The root cause could be any or all three of the above. Try sfc /scannow, which can only help matters.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

kev123

kev123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thank you very much :)

Ill post in the malware forum too then, im going to run the sfc scan first

Update: ran sfc scan and found no probs.

Have posted on the Malware forum and have run the scans but would keep crashing when I ran them, got the GMER log from safe mode and OTL scan did work but when I tried copying the log, got the blue screen of death :s

Anyway have posted the logs I have on the Malware forum and just waiting to see what reply I get...

(http://www.geekstogo...ot-t273155.html)

Thanks again for the support my friend :)

Edited by kev123, 04 April 2010 - 05:40 AM.