Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Still Won't Go

• Please log in to reply

Newomega

Newomega

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Okay, so here is what is going on. I recently built my own computer, and things were going great. I recently was having issues with my audio cutting out as well as my computer freezing more than often. I shut down my computer, pulled it to my counter, and used compressed air to remove dust from the system. I was planning on doing a full wipe to try to clean the computer up. However, upon returning the computer to my desk it would not turn on. I returned it to my counter, removed all cables, made sure all the dust was removed and then hooked everything back up, but still to no avail. I followed the directions on this forum for problems, going all the way down to having the motherboard on a piece of cardboard, but this still did not help. I get a light on the motherboard for Standby Power and Memory Power, but the system will not turn on. I am positive that the connections are correct, and all the power is good to go. I do not know what the problem is. I have included pictures of the motherboard, power supply and case.

System Parts:

Motherboard: XFX nForce 790i Ultra SLI
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.83GHz
Video Card: BFG Tech GTX 285 1G
Hard Drive: WD Raptor 300G 10000 RPM

If you need any more information, please ask. I would like to get my computer back up and running. :)

Thank you for all the help and advice.
Motherboard.JPG
Power_Supply.JPG

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
To the left of the cpu between cpu and hdmi there should be a 8 pin connector. Thsi doesn't look like it is connected.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
a few thoughts...
what type of compressed air did you use...if it was the store bought cans did you use short bursts of air or one looooong shot...
did you use a finger or something to keep the cpu fan from over spinning while you blew on the fan...
did you use thermal paste between the heatsink and cpu...if yes what kind...
is the power on switch connected to the mobo...its located on the lower left
is the cpu aux power connector plugged in...try reseating the ram...
do you get any beep codes...like 2 short 1 long

Newomega

Newomega

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
@ rshaffer61: Yes, the 8 pin next to the cpu is connected, made sure to remove and re-connect to make sure

@ happyrock: Compressed air is Dust-Off. Used both short and long shots.
Did not keep the cpu fan from spinning when I used the air
yes on the thermal paste. Used Artic Silver 6 I believe. I can not find it right now. I know it was Artic Silver however
the power on switch is connected to the mobo made sure to look at the manual for the mobo and connect the right connector
as far as the cpu aux power, I am not sure about that. I have both the 24 pin and 8 pin atx power connections in place. The only cable coming off of the cpu / fan area is for the fan, and that is connected
i don't get any beep codes, nothing at all. the system won't even turn on. the power lights are lit, but when I press the power button nothing else happens. the cpu doesn't turn on, no fan power, and the gpu doesn't turn on either. it's like i have power, but it doesn't go anywhere.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
It seems you have done everything right. The problem seems more serious like a bad PSU, CPU, or even motherboard. Even with the lights coming on the mobo, that doesn't necessarily mean the PSU is ok.

I wonder if clearing the CMOS will help. Here is my canned...

Clear your CMOS:
  • Unplug your computer from the wall
  • Open the case up, usually the left panel comes off
  • Locate the CMOS Battery (See Image)
  • Use a small flat head screw driver to pry it out
    CLICK HERE TO SEE HOW
    BE CAREFUL and Gentle!
  • Wait 5 minutes while pressing and holding the power button
    a few times to release any left over electricity in the system
  • Pop the battery back into place
Please Note: You will have to reset the time and date in the BIOS upon first boot.
Posted Image

If that is a no go...

Do you have another PSU to try? Especially if you have a small PCI video card take out the 285 and use a basic video card along with any PSU that has a 24pin and 8pin power. The idea is to see if you can just get to the BIOS/P.O.S.T.

Compressed air is Dust-Off. Used both short and long shots.

I think what happyrock is getting at is wondering if any condensation or water came out, as compressed air should be used in short bursts to prevent this. Did anything like that happen?

Let us know how it goes. :)

Newomega

Newomega

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Well, still no go with the CMOS reset. I am going to run over to Best Buy and get a new power supply. If this is what it is, it will be the second PSU that I have gone through with this computer. Hopefully it is though, since it'll be cheapest to replace. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Newomega

Newomega

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Well, looks like it was the power supply. Up and running again. Thanks to all of you. Considering that this is my third power supply now, do you all have any tips on preventing this from happening, or is it probably just bad luck with bad PSUs? Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Buying a brand name PSU like Corsair 500 watt or better and a 80 plus certified will help.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Buying a brand name PSU like Corsair 500 watt or better and a 80 plus certified will help.

Yes, Corsair makes a great PSU. Other good ones are Antec, Seasonic, and OCZ. Whatever you do, you should always go with a 80 plus Certified PSU. Much more stable and reliable.

What did you buy?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I would also start to wonder about the power being supplied to it.
Are you having any other issues in the house/apartment such as brownouts, low power, other devices acting funky?

Are you using a line conditioner to clean the power?
If the power is bad such as spikes, low/high voltage, frequency changes, noise, it will take out components connected to it and possibly weaken anything else.

Advertisements

Newomega

Newomega

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I ended up buying the 900W 80 Plus Silver Rocketfish Gaming PSU.

As far as other items in the apartment going strange, I haven't seen that. We have had two blackouts on our block, which might be a cause of it. I don't know about a line conditioner, but I am using a UPS, the Cyberpower 550VA UPS.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

but I am using a UPS, the Cyberpower 550VA UPS.

I'm wondering if this could be causing problems. UPS's are supposed to do more good than harm, but it's like anything, you are only as good as your weakest component. I don't have much experience with them, but I know the power is being channeled through it before it gets to your system. You might want to check that out.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
actually I use and recommend UPS for any system out there...I use a Cyberpower 800VA with AVR...
the only person I know that had problems is a guy in oregon that had a well on his property and everytime the well pump kicked in his house lights would dim and his UPS would beep at him signaling a loss or drop in power..
his UPS died after only about a year of use...it was replaced under warranty...

FYI..you also do not want to plug a UPS into a surge protector...it apparently defeats the purpose of using a surge protector because the UPS has one built in and you can't daisy chain surge protectors or they cancel each other out

Edited by happyrock, 03 April 2010 - 05:42 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

actually I use and recommend UPS for any system out there

I think I came off the wrong way. What I meant was implying that something may be wrong or broken with his UPS. If it's sending a crappy signal, that could cause problems couldn't it?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

actually I use and recommend UPS for any system out there

I think I came off the wrong way. What I meant was implying that something may be wrong or broken with his UPS. If it's sending a crappy signal, that could cause problems couldn't it?

my experience's with UPS's is they work or you get no power thru them at all...
with that said I'm sure there can be conditions that may cause issues...I just haven't seen any