Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I install and run real player from a usb external hard drive

• Please log in to reply

dalmar6677

dalmar6677

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have all my music media converted into mp3 format on my wd usb extrnal hard drive. Is there a way for me to install and use winamp, real player etc from my external hard drive?

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go!, dalmar6677.

The only way to run a program from an external drive or usb stick without encountering problems is if the program is a 'portable' version, ie one that doesn't need to be installed. Such an application does not write anything to the Registry so if the drive letter changes for your external drive (as it might) it won't matter.

There is no portable version of Real Player as far as I know, but there is a portable version of Winamp for XP here:
http://www.toggle.co...able_Winamp.htm

It is supplied as a zipped 'package' of files with no setup or installation file. Just unzip the package to your external drive or USB stick and double-click winamp.exe to start it.

When it starts, winamp will request an internet connection, if all your music files are stored locally (ie not streamed over the net) I suggest you tell your firewall to deny this request.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 04 April 2010 - 02:20 PM.

dalmar6677

dalmar6677

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you thank you thank you !!!! Its exactly what I was trying to do!!!! Thanks again