Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Accidently deleted ATAPI.SYS files

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

SIKnosis

SIKnosis

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello everyone. I'm new here and experiencing major computer problems I can't seem to solve so looking forward to your help.

Yesterday my computer got some sort of virus that keeps on popping up disguised as Windows Security Center every other second or so. No matter what I do it won't get deleted. I tried going Control Panel and nothing I click on works anymore. It keeps on saying "it's not found" so I downloaded Norton Antivirus.

The results keep on showing up as internal system error "backdoor something something virus" "atapi.sys/system etc.... has been infected and needs manual removal" so not knowing what it was, I deleted Atapi.sys.......

Now my computer won't let me download anything and the sound doesn't work and Norton keeps on detecting the virus and blocking it.

Anyone know how I can restore deleted files or download atapi.sys again? I tried installing Windows SP3 but my computer keeps responding to any download attempts with the X and application cannot be found.

My computer is seriously a mess. Please help me out!!

Thanks.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
ATAPI.sys is nothing to do with the sound. Your best bet is to pop into the Malware forum (down the corridor, first on the left) and clean the system up if it's still infected.

SIKnosis

SIKnosis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi Neil.

Is there one that you recommend?

Btw, I'm not sure if it'll work since the system won't let me download anything anymore. It keeps on saying some file isn't there. I can't even access control panel.

Edited by SIKnosis, 04 April 2010 - 04:48 AM.

SIKnosis

SIKnosis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I clicked to dl it and afterwards I click to install Malwarebite and again it pops up "Application is not found."

What do I do???? Please help!

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
I have moved your duplicate post to the malware forum