Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Forum categories

• Please log in to reply

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
In my view, Windows Vista & Windows 7 should have separate forums instead of being "lumped together" as they currently are. Windows 7 introduces many new changes under the hood and a separate forum would acknowledge this, whereas the current situation wrongly implies that it's merely a re-vamp of Vista, which is far from the truth.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 04 April 2010 - 07:05 AM.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Thanks for the feedback, however I respectfully disagree. Windows Vista and Windows 7 have much in common. From a tech support view, far more in common then there are differences. Advice offered for Vista is generally applicable to 7, and visa-versa. There are obviously some differences, and it's one reason the OS is displayed in your profile.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
The 'major version' of both versions of windows is 6.
For fun, try opening a command prompt and typing ver
You will see that the major version is 6 for both.

Regards,
Olrik

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

I been tricked! It's not 7 at all! AARRR!

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Any guesses what Windows 8 will be?

6.1.1.xxxx

They do this for compatibility with third party programs. They are generally designed to run fine with point change revisions, but may also be designed to choke with new versions (i.e. Windows 7.x.xxxx).

Edited by admin, 14 April 2010 - 03:10 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
It should just flatout be the revision that it is. Force software manufacturers to update their software. I'm so sick of dodgy software and things "not working".