Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Disk Cleanup Error

• Please log in to reply

TheBandit

TheBandit

• Pip
  • 1 posts
"Houston.. we have a problem."

Recently, I wanted to clear some space on my computer. After deleting some useless documents [none important], I decided to make use of Windows XP disk cleanup obtained through My Computer -> Local Disk (C:) (right-click properties) -> disk cleanup. Promising me 2 gigs of space, I decided "why not"? and tried it out.

Not even 10% through the process during compression of files, I was interrupted by an error, something along the lines of: "ERROR! Some files have been moved (or compressed, I'm not sure) and this will influence the stability of your Windows PC operation system. Please insert your Windows CD-Key." Problem is: I don't know where I put the CD-Key. Anyways, I closed this, and I decided to cancel the process.

The effects weren't immediate, so I figured "what could happen?" I went through the day normally.. no significant (or anything I could notice) while I was playing games and surfing the internet. The following day, I immediately noticed the effects of the other day. The start-up desk-top looks nothing like it normally does. Everything is enlarged and it seems the coloring and video has been influenced by the canceled cleanup.

There's also a Direct Draw Error:

"______ was unable to initiate your video card using DirectX. Please try the following solutions to correct the problem:

If you are running in 16-color VGA) mode, please reboot your system and run in 256 color mode.

Install the most recent DirectX video drivers provided by the manufacturer of your video card. A list of video card manufacturers can be found at: [url="http://www.blizzard.com/support/vendors.htm.""]http://www.blizzard.com/support/vendors.htm."[/url]

I don't know how to run in 256 color mode, since I have minimal knowledge of computer basics, but that something I'd like to try before anything else. I don't think there is a problem of malware or trojans in my computer since I have avast, and this is looks like a problem with the Windows CD-KEY. I don't know where I placed my CD-KEY, or how or where to undo the effects of the Windows Disk Cleanup. I tried the System Restore, but it wouldn't work on several dates before Friday (the day I tried the Disk Cleanup).

Please help! I have no idea what to do, or how to fix this problem. I'm also new to this site, so please, if you could with instructions, be detailed about it. :)

My system is:

Microsoft Windows XP
Professional x64 Eidition
Version 2003
Service Pack 2

My Computer:
Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU
2.666 GHz
2.67 GHz, 512 MB of RAM

Any other specifications you need, feel free to ask (with instructions on how to find, please) and I'll be happy to tell you.

Please help.

Please and thank you geekstogo.com community.

Advertisements

infected????

infected????

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
what is you video card?

infected????

infected????

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
download everest from this site