Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mozilla Thunderbird 3.0.4 update problem

• Please log in to reply

John Bull

John Bull

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Need a Geek ? When I saw this offer, I jumped at it.

I have posted this problem on 3 Forums including Mozilla Thunderbird and received one solitary genuine reply which did not provide a solution. I am now trying Geeks in my eternal quest for a more enthusiastic and hopefully more positive and successful response

I have been using Mozilla Thunderbird version 3.0.3 for quite some time with no problems.
A recent Mozilla automatic update downloaded, changing it to version 3.0.4. Automatic updates are routine.

Now, although TB seems to work OK as an Email system, when first opened or using GET MAIL I get a panel saying that the POP3 server TIMEOUT has expired :-
Posted Image

Looking on the net, I find many other users have had or have still got this problem. I have changed the default value of 100 using TOOLS>OPTIONS>GENERAL>CONFIG EDITOR to 600 or even 6,000, but it makes no difference.

It was suggested I go to my PROFILE folder using the START>RUN facility and %APPDATA%\thunderbird\profiles, which I then found and opened it with Notepad. I saw nothing on the list of Gobble-De-Gook that identified with Mail Timeout showing a value that I could change, so that was a waste of time. In any case, what is the point in having a convenient CONFIG EDITOR under TOOLS where the Timeout value CAN be changed, if one then has to fumble around blindly in the messy backwoods of a Profile Folder ?

Can the Geek of my dreams please explain why the POP3 server has suddenly developed a TIMEOUT allergy and HOW I can restore it back to my pre-Thunderbird update setting ?

It is of course worth reiterating that nothing on my system has changed, the TB version 3.0.3 worked perfectly and when updated to version 3.0.4 it does not. Seems elementary that the problem rests with Mozilla`s update. We have all had faulty updates from most software providers, I have had several, including Microsoft and Mozilla just cannot be immune. Absolute perfection is unattainable.

Finally, I do not think that Mozilla have selected John Bull out as the sole beneficiary for such special treatment.
HELP !

Many thanks
John Bull

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello John Bull...

I ran into this problem recently on a machine I was working on. Turns out that the Anti Virus application, specifically the e-mail scanning, was the culprit. A little more research showed that the problem occurred most often on machines running AVG, McAfee, and Symantec software installed. As it only happens in Thunderbird, it may very well have something to do with a recent update to either the AV software or to TBird. At any rate, the only thing I've found that relieves the itch is to disable the e-mail scanning in the AV software.

If this is what's going on with your machine, disabling the e-mail scanning feature should eliminate the error.

wannabe1

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Hello John Bull...

I ran into this problem recently on a machine I was working on. Turns out that the Anti Virus application, specifically the e-mail scanning, was the culprit. A little more research showed that the problem occurred most often on machines running AVG, McAfee, and Symantec software installed. As it only happens in Thunderbird, it may very well have something to do with a recent update to either the AV software or to TBird. At any rate, the only thing I've found that relieves the itch is to disable the e-mail scanning in the AV software.

If this is what's going on with your machine, disabling the e-mail scanning feature should eliminate the error.

wannabe1

Hi Wannabe, extremely pleased to meet you.
Your note is the first serious comment I have seen in my up to now empty Multi-Forum post box. What you say, corroborates similar findings I have read on the net. I feel that you are well within the bull`s eye.
It simply MUST be an update problem, either AVG9 which I use or TB. All was hunky dory before TB updated to 3.0.4., but then AVG update at least once per day, so who knows who has strayed from previous compatibility to a Timeout hiccup ?

I have switched off the AVG Email scanner, but it made no difference so back on it went. I do have OE6 and if pressed would rather lose TB than the protection of Anti-Viral Email scanning.
Quite frankly Wannabe, I don`t know what to do, other than stick with it and hope it goes away or simply use OE as my default Email. No problem with OE.
The latter comment "proves" beyond any doubt that it is Mozilla that is at fault.

During my long career, I was a perpetual Wannabe, but only achieved a Neverwas.
Thank you and best wishes
John Bull

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I used Thunderbird for years...up until the time I needed a little better integration with all the devices I have to use at work. Outlook works better for me now, though I really had no complaints with the way TBird treated me while I used it.

You can get older versions of Thunderbird if you really want to continue using it while the problem update, who's ever it is, is discovered and patched. Don't let it update for a while. :)

Thunderbird 3.0.3