Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

2.87 GB of 4GB RAM usable?

• Please log in to reply

tiroshii

tiroshii

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
I know it's a common question (sorry) but I can't really find a decent answer available out there, it is due to the fact I'm only running a 32 bit OS?

Edited by tiroshii, 04 April 2010 - 05:07 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
32 bit OS will only utilize 3 to 3.5 gigs of memory total.
What your pic is showing is 4 gigs total installed but only 2.87gb of usable or free memory.
Being that OS uses 256 megs to itself added to the 2.87 gb would give you a total of 3.1 gb total memory usable.
This falls right in to what the normal would be for a 32 bit OS.
You are fine with what you are showing.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Yeah, that sounds about right. Especially if this is a prebuilt OEM machine. On my motherboard, I actually had to change some settings in the BIOS for my Video Card/Memory settings before all 3gb was considered "usable"... before that it only said 2.5gb was usable. My machine is Custom.

If this is a custom machine that you built, I have no idea how to tell you where to look in the BIOS to mess with the settings... all BIOS's are different and it was pretty deep in there for mine, so I wouldn't know where to begin.

:)

Edited by Ferrari, 04 April 2010 - 08:14 PM.

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

32 bit OS will only utilize 3 to 3.5 gigs of memory total.
What your pic is showing is 4 gigs total installed but only 2.87gb of usable or free memory.
Being that OS uses 256 megs to itself added to the 2.87 gb would give you a total of 3.1 gb total memory usable.
This falls right in to what the normal would be for a 32 bit OS.
You are fine with what you are showing.

Just as I thought, thanks a lot :)

Yeah, that sounds about right. Especially if this is a prebuilt OEM machine. On my motherboard, I actually had to change some settings in the BIOS for my Video Card/Memory settings before all 3gb was considered "usable"... before that it only said 2.5gb was usable. My machine is Custom.

If this is a custom machine that you built, I have no idea how to tell you where to look in the BIOS to mess with the settings... all BIOS's are different and it was pretty deep in there for mine, so I wouldn't know where to begin.

:)

this is a prebuilt laptop. my custom desktop is fine. :)

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
desktop PC with on board VGA

just some info for people about shared memory in BIOS

in the top part of picture

shared memory as low as i could go 16mb

lower part is

max shared memory 256mb

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled_1.jpg